Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattTheHat

I just thought I'd introduce myself...

I'm a long time collector of vintage fountain pens. I've been building pens for about a year now on my 10x22 lathe and 8x30 mill. So far I've done about a hundred, all given to friends as gifts and customers.

A few weeks ago I started doing some small custom touches such as turning matching finials, blind clips, single-ended designs, contrasting cap rings, indexing flats, and soldering up copper wire blanks.

Trying to figure out how to do those thing without any kind of machinist background was a bit challenging. Then I ran across the forum here yesterday. I sure wish I'd have found you folks a few weeks ago! The library section has numerous articles that would have saved me a huge amount of time and frustration. As it is, I'm sure I'll learn better ways of doing these things by reading through the library more closely.

Most recently, I've been playing with some tooling to polish the insides of the more transparent blanks to keep the drilling scratches from showing through). I noticed the article on painting the insides of the blanks, which sure would be a lot easier! I'll have to give that a try.

Lots of cool information here!

-Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

welcome aboard. kinda new myself, 1 year or so. but, i did have 30 years as a machinist previously.
anyway, welcome aboard.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

ctubbs

Welcome Matt, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

MattTheHat

Thanks for the welcome folks! Here's one of the ones I did tonight. A Triton RB in TrueStone Wild Horse Jasper. This is for a friend of mine who deals in fine building stone. I thought the material choice was fitting.

-Matt

Attachments

• DSC_1705.jpg
    DSC_1705.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom