Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My name is Mike Taylor and I am in Nashville Tn.
I retired in 2010 from commercial contracting and installed a small woodworking shop in my basement to build furniture etc. I got the pen turning bug on the last job we did, a large addition and remodeling of a church in Murfreesboro Tn. The person that was our contact for the church is a great cabinet builder and also does pens. He made me a beautiful pen as a gift for the job we did and that pen means more to me than anything I received in 42 years in construction. I have started making pens and enjoying it very much and I thought this was the perfect site to help me in learing the correct way to do all the different aspects of pen turning. I will be asking a lot questions and reading all the posts.
Thanks in advance for the help I know I will receive.
Mike

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Mike and welcome!!!

First thing I can tell you---There is My way, His way, the other guy's way and they all work!!!!!

YOUR way will develop over time--try them all.

Only absolute: Best to use the sharp end of the tool for cutting the pen material--otherwise your hand will bleed!!:eek::eek:
No charge for this GREAT advice!!

WELCOME!!

cwolfs69

welcome from the old dominion. good to have you aboard. and as mentioned by ed brown, every method is correct if it works. take the advice here or leave the advice here. you do what you like and what works for you. good lick and again welcome.

MarkD

Welcome from Pennsylvania! There is a wealth of information here and a bunch of great people but your mailman may not be so happy! You'll understand soon! :)

ctubbs

Welcome Mike, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Top Bottom