New Member & New Pen Turner from Cedarburg WI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zebramz

Happy to be part of IAP. As a new Turner I hope to share my experiences as I learn the arts of the lathe. I am a retired Milwaukee Fire Fighter having a previous background in the exhibit field - both construction and graphic arts production. Currently a PT Rockler associate. Looking for info on experiences in adding bark inclusions to pens (stability, finishing, good wood species to try). I'm thinking of some lilac or white birch branches.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Mark.

My guess is that you would probably need to stabilize the blank and/(possibly or) cast it in Alumilite for bark inclusion in a pen. I made my first worthless wood casting yesterday & will take it out of the mold later today. One piece of wood had some bark inclusion, so I'm experimenting with it also. A number of folks have been doing it for a long time, so I'm sure they can give better advice than I can.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome to IAP, Mark!!

The Wisconsin "chapter" of the IAP meets about 4 times a year at WoodCraft in Western Milwaukee. Please watch the IAP for notices of meeting dates and join us!!!

Ed

dankerr1968

I know that place in your picture....

Welcome from Watertown!

It is so sad that the Brewers cant serve beer at Miller Park this year... The lost their opener....

Top Bottom