New Member (Kind of)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fordwakeman

I've been a lurker for a few months. So here is my introduction.

I am a 40 something hobbyist that started turning pens back in February. I reside in Springfield Oregon. One day my teenage son came home from highschool and showed me a pen. I guess I can say the rest is history, Several hundred dollars later and a pretty good box of expirence(screw ups) and I am starting to have some success.

My Son conmpeted in the youth pen contest. It was a lot of fun and we were blown away by the generosity that everyone that provided the awards for that contest. Its been a great hobby for him and I to spend some time together.

I've stabalized punky wood, cast various items with different resins. I'm always looking for new material, and hopefully someday I'll have extra to trade. I'm interested in just about everthing to do with pen making. I love the internet and sites like these that provide resources to make me a better pen turner. Making new friends is always good too.

Everyone is very helpful and willing to answer my questions, a big thank you.

thanks for accepting me into the group.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Welcome from Southern California! My oldest son has made a few pens. The hardest part for me is to let him make his own mistakes so he learns.

Fordwakeman

hardest part.

For me is fighting over lathe time. :)

Actually he plays 3 sports so during the school year his turning goes down, but he still helps me when he can.

turncrazy43

Darin, welcome to IAP from Georgia. Try to find a local IAP chapter near you so that you and your son can attend. The time you spend with your son on this hobby will be some of the best and most rewarding times you will both ever have.

healeydays

Several hundred dollars? Darin, you got into this hobby cheap...

Welcome aboard. Great folks here and the site is a wealth of knowledge for the apprentice penturner.

Mike B

Fordwakeman

Several hundred, and I've stopped counting. :) it very well could be that a month I guess. I got my wife trying Polymer Clay so I may be able to make this a family hobby.

Top Bottom