New member - help on pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

feeneypens

Hi everyone. I'm a new member. I've been making pens as a hobby now for a few years and having TONS of fun (I attached some pics of some of my work) but noticed that my creativity is hindered by my lack of tools and knowledge. For instance, I have seen some pen makers make a pine cone blank by stabilizing a pine cone core. While I have made many pine cone pens, it is painstakingly hard at times because sometimes the core of my pine cone just gets ripped right out of the center and I have to use a bunch of sawdust as filler (takes forever). Any suggestions?
Best,
Mike

Attachments

• image-677243427.png
    image-677243427.png
    847.8 KB · Views: 286
  • image-2994523245.png
    image-2994523245.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Mike, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.
As far as pine cone, from what I have seen, most of the successful ones are cast in Alumalite (probably spelled wrong) under pressure rather than stabilizing. You should find tutorials and articles in the library on doing both casting ans stabilizing. Good work and keep up the production.

Charles

markgum

Welcome to the fun. I don't have an answer for you about the pine cones. Haven't done one myself. I'm sure someone has the answer.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome!

As to your question: The first suggestion would be to stabilize the pine cone centers in a vacuum / pressure pot so that the stabilizing gets all the way to the center. You could try cutting the pine cones in 3/4 in squares and then casting them but that would still leave the centers very soft and weak.

The next step involves the drilling side.
1. Make sure you are using good sharp bits.

2. Check your speed. Most people like to use slow speed in drilling but generally, I use faster speeds and slower feed. A fast speed has less tendency to "catch" and more prone to cut through. There is a time and type of wood/material that slower speeds are required.

3. Use a good blank vise. Holding with pliers or hand clamps will allow for movement that will catch and do exactly what you describe. Blank Movement during drilling is the enemy, unless skilled at this process. Also, the more of the blank that is held or gripped in a vise, the less likely it is to blowout. It is easy to drill a 3/8 in hole in a 2X4 but when drilling a 3/8 in hole in a 1 in square block, it is more prone to exploding because there is less structure holding it intact. This is where a good pen vise with a good grip will help, especially from the middle to the exit end.

Last edited:

feeneypens

Wow! You guys answer fast! The Polaris kit was a pine cone that I PAINFULLY turned (TOTALLY worth it by the way) by getting a pine cone core that a squirrel ate off the seed pods, drilled through with a sharp bit (also helps to stabilize the ends with gobs of glue and leave about 1/4 inch of room when cutting for blow-outs) and when on the lathe itself, turned a little then sanded smooth, stabilized with a layer of glue and turned a little more and repeat until down to the bushings. Then sanded to 600 grit sandpaper and I use vegetable oil to stain and CA glue (2 coats before sanding) and from there sand from 600 grit to 3200 grit sandpaper...get the idea how long this took?
Anyway, I LOVE the fast responses from everyone! Any other suggestions are welcome! And I'd love to share my knowledge too for whatever I do!

I have found that used dried coffee grounds are better than wood shavings for stabilization purposes. Pine cones are going to be a problem no matter what. Take it slow and steady.

SDB777

Welcome aboard.

As for the pine cones, turn a little and soak with thin CA, turn a little and soak with thin CA....repeat until your arms are covered with thin CA and then polish to a shine(the pen not yourself).

Scott

feeneypens

SDB777 said:
Welcome aboard.

As for the pine cones, turn a little and soak with thin CA, turn a little and soak with thin CA....repeat until your arms are covered with thin CA and then polish to a shine(the pen not yourself).

Scott

Haha! Right! It's not like doing the hokey-pokey will resolve anything!

feeneypens

Donovan's Corner said:
No the grounds don't stain the pine cone. The link attached is to my poie cone pen. The end had blown out and I wanted to complete it. I filled the void with coffee grounds, thin, and medium CA.

Profile Pictures | Facebook

Wow! Who'd have thought that it would look so awesome! I'm definitely going to do that! Now I have another reason to buy coffee! Haha!

louie68

Welcome Mike,
Nice hearing from you also you can gather vast information here & share also. I have learn so much from the guys & girls here.
Now regarding pinecones i just receive 2 sugar pinecones from PA. 10" long and I like to turn them some day maybe you can give a little advice soon!!! LOL Louie

feeneypens

louie56 said:
Welcome Mike,
Nice hearing from you also you can gather vast information here & share also. I have learn so much from the guys & girls here.
Now regarding pinecones i just receive 2 sugar pinecones from PA. 10" long and I like to turn them some day maybe you can give a little advice soon!!! LOL Louie

LOL! Thanks Louie! I look forward to it! :)
Funny thing though is I JUST got my first sugar pine pinecone! It will be interesting to turn because someone brought it to me fully open and dry and MAN that is a light pinecone! I'll let you know if I get anything out of it...

Top Bottom