New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't know for sure but I think that might be (might mind you) just a tad over kill for a guy who only turns pens. That completely aside from the possibility of having to tear walls down to get it installed.....

I don't know Smitty... you can make little things on a big lathe, but it more difficult to make big things on a little lathe....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I second or third or whatever position I am in line on the Jet 1014 or 1220... I have an older Jet 1014 (Not VS which I would love to have and may get the conversion someday... my friend has a VS and I may switch with him and seeeee if he really notices..:biggrin::biggrin:) but I love the little lathe... it's been a real workhorse and have had little or not trouble with it in over 5 years of use.

I also have a Jet 1442 and the little lathe gets almost as much usage as the bigger one.

fyrcaptn

"I came into a couple of bucks and wanted to get a new lathe that will be used strictly for pen turning. "
I'm not meaning to be a naysayer, and this is an interesting thread, but I just keep reading the original post over and wondering. Do any of you with the huge machines use them strictly for pens??
I could hunt squirrels with a Barrett light 50 but overkill is overkill.
Before anyone shoots me for being ugly, I'm swear I'm really not meaning to.

I'd LOVE a Powermatic, or Oneway, or even an Oliver or Stubby etc. But for pens, and strictly pens I'd also suggest the Jet 1014vs.

There are three lathes in the shop, the 'baby' jet, a 'mama' delta (my first 30 years ago), and the 'papa" jet. One day..... I'd love a robust or PM, etc for a 'Grandpa' to round things out. It gets interesting with 3 of us turning in there but it happens at times. Its funny how often the 'baby' Jet seems to be just right. If only one lathe is going, over half the time, that's the one. limited in size yes, but still versatile.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
BECAUSE HAVING TOO MANY LATHES IS LIKE BEING TOO RICH OR TOO GOOD LOOKING! None of those things has ever happened to anyone I know!
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF....IN OUR 48 YEARS OF MARRIED BLISS, MY WIFE HAS OFTEN ACCUSED ME OF BEING "TOO DAMNED GOOD LOOKING FOR MY OWN WELL BEING.

nava1uni

I have a Rikon and it is much easier for me to change it's belt then the Jet mini. I can turn up to a 10" bowl, which I have done. I turn burls on it, without it's jumping around due to starting out of round. Solid little lathe and it is coming out with a variable right about now. I saw the variable on their website as now available.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't know Smitty... you can make little things on a big lathe, but it more difficult to make big things on a little lathe....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I second or third or whatever position I am in line on the Jet 1014 or 1220... I have an older Jet 1014 (Not VS which I would love to have and may get the conversion someday... my friend has a VS and I may switch with him and seeeee if he really notices..:biggrin::biggrin:) but I love the little lathe... it's been a real workhorse and have had little or not trouble with it in over 5 years of use.

I also have a Jet 1442 and the little lathe gets almost as much usage as the bigger one.

When I said overkill I was also considering the $2450 price tag on the oneway.. kind of like buying a Unisaw to make picture frames.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
"I came into a couple of bucks and wanted to get a new lathe that will be used strictly for pen turning. "
I'm not meaning to be a naysayer, and this is an interesting thread, but I just keep reading the original post over and wondering. Do any of you with the huge machines use them strictly for pens??
I could hunt squirrels with a Barrett light 50 but overkill is overkill.
Before anyone shoots me for being ugly, I'm swear I'm really not meaning to.

I'd LOVE a Powermatic, or Oneway, or even an Oliver or Stubby etc. But for pens, and strictly pens I'd also suggest the Jet 1014vs.

There are three lathes in the shop, the 'baby' jet, a 'mama' delta (my first 30 years ago), and the 'papa" jet. One day..... I'd love a robust or PM, etc for a 'Grandpa' to round things out. It gets interesting with 3 of us turning in there but it happens at times. Its funny how often the 'baby' Jet seems to be just right. If only one lathe is going, over half the time, that's the one. limited in size yes, but still versatile.

Well much to my disappointment I did not learn to turn until I was 70 years old, never used a lathe before that at all, although I watched a few ShopSmith demos. I learned to turn because I like wooden pens and wanted to make them, hence I'm only interested in turning pens. I bought a cheap lathe that has served for 2 years but now I am getting more particular about how good the end products look so I want a better one. I never preach poverty but I am not wealthy enough to spend $2400 plus on a single tool.

I've got a pretty well equipped wood shop ... Delta Table Saw,Bosch Compound Slliding Miter Saw, Delta Drill Press, Delta Scroll Saw, Delta Jointer Planer, Dewalt Thickness Planer, Bosch Router & Table, Ryobi Band Saw, Delta Bench Sander, TurnCrafter Bench Grinder and about any power hand tool you'd be likely to need...all are decent but few are top of the line. Most of the tools will do better work than I can do myself, but I do have fun.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thank you

Thanks guys, It sounds like most of you like the Jet 1014 or 1220 both of which are probably in my price range...I guess I also learned that I should get either a morse taper chuck and or a collet set for drilling on the lathe. Now if all of you will just go buy some slimline pen kits from me I will be able to get this thing on order for the fall season.

Daniel

Over the years the only name I have heard consistently with good reviews in Mini or Midi lathes is the Jet. And it is an extremely popular small lathe. Go a step higher into the 12X24 or larger lathes and you start seeing a few (very few) knock offs including a good copy of the get sold by Harbor Freight. But in the mini scale lathes I would stick with the Jet if I where buying one.

For drilling on the lathe I can think of a couple of ways

#1 method (drill square blanks)
4 Jaw scroll chuck (expensive)
jacobs chuck for the tail stock
drill bits
Not the best choice for accuracy

#2 method (drill round blanks including getting square blanks round)
Spur center for head stock
live center for tail stock
a decent size center drill (Optional)
Use the above to turn stock round if needed
Collet chuck with assortment of collets (not as expensive as Scroll chuck and far more handy in my shop)
Jacobs chuck for tail stock
Drill bits.
Very accurate method of drilling

I think that pretty much covers the two main ways I know of to drill on the lathe.

Mr Vic

I also moved up from a Shopsmith tho the Jet 1014 Mini. I love it!! Seems like they usually have a sale at least once an year and I think I got 20% off. If you can hold out.

Ken, got any more picks or plans for your treadle lathe....I've thought of making one but wasn't sure where to start...

Top Bottom