New Lathe!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

*note* pictures will be coming when I unload my camera

After wearing out several Excelsiors from Rockler and deciding that I did actually like turning, I started looking for a serious lathe.

First I bought an old craftsman variable speed one that worked reasonably well until it threw a bearing. In replacing that, I discovered that it had a bearing on the visible end of the spindle, but only a brass bushing on the other end. That bushing was worn through, making Tue runout a real problem.

Then I saved my pennies to buy a Comet II. I finally ordered that in February. Monday I told customer service I was done messing around with warranty repairs on a lathe that still didn't work and got a refund.

Last night I found a Delta 46-480 on Craigslist and managed to snag it this morning. It came complete and working with the original manual, the guard, and a 46-408 duplicator.

This sucker is nice. The spindle turns smoother and quieter than any of the others I have had. I am so excited to finally get to use my coring set!

I ended up paying more for it than my car and my truck combined, and I had to take a day off work, and I have not told my wife yet...

She did tell me to buy myself something nice for Father's Day...

Anyone in SoCal have a couch I can crash on in an emergency?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh Man... You're TOAST :eek:!

But, have fun. It's a nice event when you are (or me) done buying "cheap" and go for a bit better quality. Yes, a hard decision, but mighty nice... This is what we work hard for no?

I have a spare room... :cool:

Fibonacci

Here are the first pics. I will post more when it is clean and installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20140611_110723.jpg
    IMG_20140611_110723.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20140611_190312.jpg
    IMG_20140611_190312.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 183
Top Bottom