New lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seanphotoguy

Well I got the new lathe and just need learn how to use it and to find the right tap and matching die for the cap and I will attempt kitless.

photo.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations! 12, 13, and 14mm taps and dies. The 14 IS a pretty big pen. You will need a tap guide and a die holder. If you're making a pen 14mm you will likely need an adaptor for the die holder because the die has a larger diameter than the 12mm. Fred Brunings (BigShed) in Australia used to make the adaptors. OR, you can take Bobs advice and, cut your own threads. I don't. Have some fun with your new toy!

BTW, you can also go smaller to 11mm. I think 10mm may be a little tricky.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Manly Lathe, we expect great things from you now. Start with single threads and if you find you need to you can move to triple threads on the caps. 10mm cap threads work for rollerballs that use an 8mm thread on the nose cone.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
And a FREE tip for YOU. (I'm handing them out today) IF, you are going to be making kitless pens, consider changing that hold down bolt on your tail stock to a lever operated hold down. It is a big pain to constantly tightening and, loosening that bolt. You will do it often when making kitless pens. There is a video on how to convert them. I think I saw it on youtube.

That is a nice looking lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Al though you can cut threads on this lathe and you should do some to learn how, most of us still use tap and dies. Its faster than changing gears if thats how your lathe does it. Some lathes its just selecting levers. And its easier with a guide than lining up the cutter and making several passes. You normally wont cut your threads in one pass.

11mm 12mm and 13mm x.75 pitch are all good choices for cap threads. You pen cap will keep getting bigger in diameter with larger threads sizes of course.

seanphotoguy

thanks for the encouragement and advice

I have the taps and dies to make the sections and am waiting for a set to do the caps. will start on sections now that i have the 9mm .75 tap and die and get a few made to toke the bock nibs i bought.

waiting for my 12 mm triple start tap and die to be delivered.

JTisher

Nice lathe.

You don't need to buy a tap or die holder now that you know somebody with a metal lathe though :wink:. They're both easy projects to learn on and a lot easier than single point threading.

Joe

Top Bottom