New lathe sought after

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

My current lathe is about to be replaced for the next one. However, I don't exactly know which one that will be. I am currently looking at a Laguna 18x47. If I can find something in this range of size I would be interested. I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I have a lightweight budget so please keep this in mind.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have no idea why their 1847 is $700 less than their 1840-but both of those lathes look like nice items--they have a lot in common with the 3520B from Powermatic--I have a friend who has two of their bandsaws and he sings their praises all the time. Another lathe to consider is the Nova DVR-XP, I have this lathe and it has been a great performer for me, Nova's customer service is quirky, but if you get ahold of the right guy (I can give you a few names) they are fine. This lathe is incredibly solid/stable.

As to the Baleigh's, They look like a good/quality value to me!

Last edited:

TonyL

I did call Baleighs...they said there is not an American-made lathe out there any more. I though many have proven this to be false. Anyway, didn't mean to change the direction of the post - only to help the OP find a good quality lathe at an affordable price. Please forgive the unintended change of direction. Thank you.

PS. Larry's work is really outstanding!

Wildman

Other than paint Baileigh, Laguna, & Grizzly all sell same China made 18 x 47 lathe.

Laguna just came out with this lathe and do not see an 18" x 47" Lathe at their web site. Might get a break on price if find one in a store or used but may have hard time getting parts & service for the 18" x 47" lathe if they stopped importing them.

Laguna Tools Revo 18|36 Lathe

Grizzly had better CS than Laguna, but Baileigh might have better features & specs than Grizzly. I did not look! Baileigh's mini lathe was better than Grizzly's mini but probably made in the same factory.

Grizzly.com® --

Variable Speed Wood Lathe WL-1847VS | Baileigh Industrial

I would wait until check out features, specs, prices, and perhaps sales or free shipping on any lathe might want to own.

Good luck!

low_48

I did call Baleighs...they said there is not an American-made lathe out there any more. I though many have proven this to be false. Anyway, didn't mean to change the direction of the post - only to help the OP find a good quality lathe at an affordable price. Please forgive the unintended change of direction. Thank you.

PS. Larry's work is really outstanding!

I guess they have never heard of Robust then. Home | Robust Woodturning Tools | Lathes | Tool Rests | Wisconsin, USA
Baleighs would not be my first choice of places to go as experts in wood lathes. They've only been importing Chinese woodworking machines for a few years. Their statement is especially odd since they have offices in Wisconsin, same state where Robust are made. I just checked, their plants are only 80 miles from each other.

Last edited:

BSea

I've been shopping for a new lathe for a few months. While Laguna lathes are good lathes from the reports I hear, their customer service may be a little suspect.

Here's a thread in another forum talking about a Laguna lathe. Start reading at post 104: The Woodturning Forum - Woodturner's Resource - New Kid on the (lathe) block...

Normally a bad experience from a few people isn't something that would bother me, but I couldn't find much of anything good concerning their support of their lathes.

I do have a friend who loves his Laguna lathe. But so far he's not had any reason to ask for service.

Last edited:

BSea

Grizzly has a new lathe the G0766 that's at an introductory price of $1700 shipped. The 1st units have just been delivered. It's a 22" x 42" lathe with a 3hp motor (or so they say). It seems like there's some question as to the real HP.

There have been a few threads about some problems with the new lathe. Some seem like it's not a big deal, while others seem a little upset. With price being a concern with the OP, this may be the best bang for the buck.

Top Bottom