New in-progress Browning Citori

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AultMan

AultMan

I'm just getting started with stock work. Still have lots to learn.

You just can't beat Maple burl when it comes to value. This blank was $90. Something similar in walnut would be at least $600, probably a lot more.

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpg
    IMG_6149.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6151.jpg
    IMG_6151.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6146.jpg
    IMG_6146.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AultMan

Maple durability

I know other people with maple guns. I was careful to lay it out so that there is straight grain in the grip and front portion so that it is strong. It was much harder to work than walnut I have worked on. And, the person who is helping me learn showed me how to bed the back of the receiver so that the recoil impacts solid wood. So, I really think it will last, but only time will tell.

I really hope it does, 'cause it sure is a pretty piece of wood.

wiset1

I don't own my own, but if I did...wow, I would be contacting you for some work to be done!

Finatic

Great choice of wood. I'm doing a walnut thumb-hole for an Argentine Mauser for the last bunch of years. I need to get a finish like you have on that Maple. Dynamite look to it.

AultMan

Look up "northstar duplicator" on youtube. You start with an old junk stock. Make modifications with bondo and hand rasps, then duplicate it onto the pretty wood.

Then a lot more work with hand tools to get everything just right. But the bulk of the shaping is done by machine.

BKelley

Having made a few stocks in the past I know just how much work is involved. The wood is exceptional as is the craftsmanship. I'm sure you plan on checkering, please let us see the final outcome both stock and fore-end.

Ben

Top Bottom