New IAP Member from Arlington, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JDAllen

Hello,

I am a new IAP member. I just returned from S.W.A.T. (Southwest Assocation of Turners), where I met Don Ward and a few others who suggested that I join IAP. So I did.

I have been turning pens for about three years now. I started off just to make some gifts for family and friends. I have even been able to sell several of my pens.

Lately, my work and kids have been taking up all of my free time that I would normally be spending at the lathe. But I've seen some really cool stuff at SWAT and finally learned how to consistently apply a CA finish (something I had tried in the past but never had good results with). So I'm hoping to make the time to get back to the lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Jeff, welcome from yet another Texan, glad you are on board. I also would encourage you to check out the North Texas Chapter!!

Sberger

Welcome, tell us what you learned about CA finishing, it was impressive to you. Probably would impress us also. Thanks. Another Texan!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Welcome to the IAP Jeff. This is a great group of people. Too bad you didn't post just a bit sooner. I was in Arlington last week. Very nice town! I scored a private, behind the scenes tour of the Cowboy's new stadium. That is quite the place!!

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Jeff!

You met Don Ward? You met him? He is famous! Latch on to him and you will have the best resource available! Next time, get your photo with him and be sure to let him sign it! :biggrin:

Below are links to threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

These won't replace DW as a mentor but they will help! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Top Bottom