New here and have a casting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Hello everyone! I'm new to turning pens and have a casting question. I bought a couple of smaller pieces of Mallee Burl with the intent of doing the whole "worthless wood" casting. The problem is, I don't have a pressure pot or a lot of money to spend on a pressure pot. My question is, is a pressure pot absolutely necessary and if not, what kind of resin system would work best without a pressure pot? Oh, the burl is pretty solid and doesn't have many cracks or voids. Let me know if pictures would help with my question. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

I'm new to casting to, but I can tell you pics always help.
also PR shrinks when it dries, so while possible to be used, it isn't recomended. alumilite is the way to go. also a pressure pot is I believe necessary for WW casting, and can be had for less than $100 at Harbor Freight

dl351

Is alumilite fairly thick? I'll post pictures later today, but the wood really is fairly solid. The outside of the burl is "spikey," but there aren't any holes or cracks.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Is alumilite fairly thick? I'll post pictures later today, but the wood really is fairly solid. The outside of the burl is "spikey," but there aren't any holes or cracks.

Its pretty easy to work with, you can heat the supplies up some to make it seap into cracks better. I did some "spikey" woods and the alumilite adhered great to them.

dl351

Here are some pictures:

4373829517_513a2601e1_b.jpg

4374583932_41e1af3847_b.jpg

So, will casting without a pressure pot just not work? Will there be too many bubbles? Thanks for all your help.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Here are some pictures:
So, will casting without a pressure pot just not work? Will there be too many bubbles? Thanks for all your help.

You can try it, But I would recommend a pot.

You may get a few bubbles/voids without pressure, but you could try to "vibrate" the bubbles out with a palm sander.

I did a few of that same wood and the alumilite bonded excellent.

Top Bottom