New from Oregon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmiller

Hi, just found this forum, looks great. I live in Eugene, Oregon. I've been making pens for almost a year. Attached is an early project: one of eight I made for participants at my son's wedding. The wood is myrtlewood burl. Myrtlewood is very rare but native to the Oregon coast so there's plenty around. Finish is CA.

Hope to learn a lot from the group.

Colin

Attachments

• concova-myrtlewood-burl.jpg
    concova-myrtlewood-burl.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 133
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site Colin.

Looks like you have a grasp on this pen making stuff. I like the kit. What is that kit and where did you gt it??? Is that your added touch with the concave center in the cap or is that the design of that kit??? Looks good and thanks for showing. Your entry fee is accepted.:)

cmiller

Thanks, all. Jack's got it right, it's the Concava set from PSI. The shape is how it's shown in the catalog, so I didn't invent that. It was delicate trying to get eight of them to look the same, but things came out great.

cmiller

Thanks, all. I do know about the events at Woodcraft in Eugene, I'll be attending.

Hey, I'm learning new things from this forum already. I found an article in the library showing how to convert the basic slimline model into a pen with no center band--all wood. I used Italian Olivewood, came out pretty nice.

Attachments

• olivewood-one-piece-b.jpg
    olivewood-one-piece-b.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 93

D.Oliver

Nice job. On your myrtle wood pen, is the wood normally the red. I had a gentleman give me a block a wood that he said was myrtle wood but it is mostly tan with no red in it. I'm wondering if it is in fact myrtle wood.

cmiller

Hi Derek, myrtlewood is normally a warm or neutral brown color. I attached a picture with a couple pieces, burl and normal grain. I stained the pen to get to that red color.

Attachments

• myrtlewood-sample.jpg
    myrtlewood-sample.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 81

cmiller

Derek, this also may help: attached is a photo of the set of eight I made with this kit. All myrtlewood burl, some stained reddish, some stained more or less colorless. The myrtle is warm already, so a bit hard to tell which is which. The slight differences make for a nice set, I think. Anyway, this is pretty normal treatment for myrtle from what I've seen in the stores and galleries around the state.

Colin

Attachments

• concava-myrtlewood-set.jpg
    concava-myrtlewood-set.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom