New From Indiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kwerdal

Well I just joined I have a lathe and want to learn to turn some pens.. any tips on where to purchase some inexpensive arbor, and whatever i need to get started?

Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Kevin. I'm from Indy. Take a look at Johnnycnc's site. Penturners Products! He has LOTS of turning tools and bushings that are unrivaled. Also, take a look around in the Library here. Just click the link at the top of the page. BTW, Johnny lives in Columbus, In.

Last edited:

rej19

Welcome fellow hoosier. If you want to support a local supplier. You can try Woodturningz. They have a web site and are a supporter of our local chapter and IAP.

76winger

Hi Kevin, and welcome from Lebanon, IN.

If you've only got a lathe and some turning tools, you'll probably want to start out with a mandrel and some simple pen kits, wood or acrylic blanks (or cut your own from wood on hand for those first few) and something to put a finish body once turned. A couple of the bigger suppliers such as Penn State Industries | Pen Turning | Pen Kits | Dust Collector or Pen Making, Bowl Turning, Wood Lathes, Wood Blanks, and Turning Tools for Woodturners | Craft Supplies USA are good places to gather up the few things you need to get started and get catalogs to get you dreaming of the many possibilities. Beyond those, there are MANY members on these forums that have their own shops to supply you with lots of pen kits, blanks and much more to keep you going and they provide the personal service that the big guys can't. So be sure to check out our member vendors as well.

Those should get you off and going. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

booney0717

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the group. There are a good number of turners here from Indiana as i'm sure you'll find out. I'm Kind of a rookie turner myself (started a year ago) so i dont hold a welth of info for ya but what i can say is i have learned a great deal from the folks here. By the way My name is Kevin also. From Alexandria!!

mb007

Welcome from Noblesville, IN!

All of the links shared so far are good to get you started! If you're close to Indy, there are two woodworking shops in the Castleton area that carry pen supplies (Rockler and Woodcraft). They generally won't beat online prices, but it's nice to be able to look at things in person - even if you then go home and order online. :)

I'll +1 the Woodturningz recommendation as well. They have a nice selection, good prices, and fantastic customer service. They can order almost everything that PSI sells - and they'll be a little cheaper as well!

jeff_in_AZ

Hi Kevin from Jeff. I live in Arizona now but grew up in Marion, IN.
I'm new to IAP too, my hello to the forum was about 2 weeks ago.
I got my initial supplies from a local store (Woodcraft) and since
then have also ordered some pen kits online (PSI). Now that I've been
reading the forum for a little while, I've learned about many other places
and plan to order some more supplies soon. As far as blanks, I started with
wood blanks from WC. Since then I found another local woodworking
store where blanks cost a little less, and also have purchased some
3/4" boards and cut blanks myself. Anyway, welcome and have fun.

jeff

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Kevin, If you want to be added to the contact list for the local chapter send me a PM and I'll get you on it. We're planning the next meeting soon and I'm sure you would enjoy the goings on.
WB
Bill

toddnafziger

Welcome Kevin from NW Indy. I've had my lathe for a couple of years but have done pens for the last year. I am looking forward to the local meeting and hope to see you there!

Todd

Top Bottom