• Neither, current forums can handle both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If Jeff were to start a new forum and the choice were between a Critque forum or a Penmakers Laboratory which if any would you choose.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NavyDiver

I realize I'm new, but I don't see any advantage to a critique forum over the current show your pen forum. If you want to know what others think, then just say so.

Jerryconn

I could not vote, I would like to see both added

Edit to clear up any confusion (hopefully). I look at the two forums differntly (Maybe I shouldn't [;)]) Critiques are just that, The good, the bad, the ugly. If you don't want to know don't ask place.

The Laboratory is a place to discuss experiments and ideas that are beyond basic pencrafting from available kits.

I think each has a place and both should added. Hope this makes sense.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />Eagle, is this your place to poll us like this? I am just wondering. It doesn't seem right to me.
I don't know if it is allowed or not.
The post that Jeff put up has not turned up much in the way of discussion, just a lot of comments back and forth not having much to do with the initial subject.
The idea of a different forum was suggested by Jeff but if you do not read all the posts and just reply to the first one Jeff put up then it goes back to the Critiques Forum again and still not much discussion.
I just thought this was an efficient way to get an idea what was on everybodies mind.
It is unofficial and just for "informational purposes" only.
If the this poll offends anyone it can always be removed.

Ron Mc

Could someone please, in a brief manner, explain to me what the difference would be? I like the idea of a critique forum but have no idea what the laboratory one is.

Skye

Laboritory is basicly where you post experimental processes. Say casting new materials, hacking new pen kits, etc. People can 'critique' your ideas there.

chigdon

I would probably be happy with both but to answer Eagle's question my preference would be for the laboratory. It might be a bust but we have already had the critique and it was not all that successful.

byounghusband

Based on what Skye said about the Laboratory &lt;insert Ghoulish Mad Scientist laugh here&gt;
I would be in favor of that. Is that what you meant Eagle?
IMHO, Critiques get taken care of in the "Show off..." forum.

Ron Mc

It seems that in order for a project to be shown in the Laboratory one would have to take pictures during the development process as well as the completed pen.[:(]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />It seems that in order for a project to be shown in the Laboratory one would have to take pictures during the development process as well as the completed pen.[:(]
Not necessarily.
The "lab"could be used to get input on what direction a design might need to go in, but not steps as to how the piece got to the point it did.
It should not be "how do I do this" as in a tutorial.
In a laboratory "experiements are ongoing" not as in a classroom where a given technique might be taught.

dfurlano

I like the lab since everything I do tends to be an experiment. I rarely post anything because it really does not belong in "Show Off Your Pens" and the "Penturning" forum is to informal and I usually do not even get much of a response.

Currently I join other groups to discuss problems and designs like metal casting, reloading, enameling, jewelery making and so on...

Daniel

I thought we tried the critique forum once and it didn't seem to work very well. I voted for the Lab as I have always cheered for the advancments this group has made with penturning.

alamocdc

I've already stated my opinion o fthe critique forum so I won't repeat it here. JMO, but the Penturning forum can easily handle the "lab" stuff and in fact has on occassion. As has our Casual Conversation forum.

Darley

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Laboritory is basicly where you post experimental processes. Say casting new materials, hacking new pen kits, etc. People can 'critique' your ideas there.

Good on you! , but do you think that Eagle will be apart of is " HOW TO DO BLANKS AND PENS???" dream on !!!![:D]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />There is only one vote that counts. Jeff's.
That's not the case at all. I try to consider what everyone thinks would make this a better place. Why else would I consider creating a forum that is likely going to give me acid reflux and fill my inbox with angry email? [?][:)]

The reason I'm trying to make a good decision about this is that exactly one person has suggested that we bring back the critiques forum in some way. That's not exactly a landslide of demand.

I came up with the laboratory idea some time ago, then when it was suggested that critiques come back, I thought that would be a good place to include them.

We'll see how this poll comes out...

DocStram

Taking a poll seems to be a logical step. We certainly had ample opportunity to discuss all sides of this issue in the Casual Forum.

I agree that there should be a fourth stem ....."Add Both Forums". If you have the choice of voting for one, or the other, or none .. then there should be the option of voting for both forums. But, I vote for the Lab. (It's gotta have a cool name .. like "Experimental Zone" or .... "Roswell").

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />Taking a poll seems to be a logical step. We certainly had ample opportunity to discuss all sides of this issue in the Casual Forum.

I agree that there should be a fourth stem ....."Add Both Forums". If you have the choice of voting for one, or the other, or none .. then there should be the option of voting for both forums. But, I vote for the Lab. (It's gotta have a cool name .. like "Experimental Zone" or .... "Roswell").
I purposely set the poll up as I did because of the way the "discussion" forum went.
Jeff can set up any poll he wants.I did thins on my own and so far the results are interesting.
I would suspect that those who wanted both would vote for one or the other.
The votes for neither is enlightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom