New Combo... Mahagany and Feathers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I wanted to try something different with the feathers and create a background for them, so I decided to try some wood and used Mahagany for the first one. I found the brass really makes this wood glow when turned down so thin. I drilled and glued the tube like most pens, then turned it down as thin and I could without exposing the brass. Glued the feathers and cast in pr. Not much room for error with these. I used a diplomat kit from exoticblanks.com but I think a visita might be a safer choice so I wouldnt have to leave it a little under turned as to not expose the wood through the pr. I also cast some maple, rosewood and oak but havent turned them yet. All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Feather Mahagany_800x293.JPG
    Feather Mahagany_800x293.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 476
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

That opens up so much more that could be done. Absolutly beautiful and Veneers as suggested by "what's his name":biggrin: also opens up some other ideas.

JohnU

Ive never worked with veneer but Im going to have to check into it. I thought the elegant beauties / aero kits might be better for these with smaller tubes and more room for resin. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Ive never worked with veneer but Im going to have to check into it. I thought the elegant beauties / aero kits might be better for these with smaller tubes and more room for resin. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I still have to send you the second mold .. I'll throw in some mahogany
veneer so you can try it out. Might go well on the 3/8" tube kits.. that
should give you room to work.

I like this look .. and the wood backdrop means you have to glue less
feathers to achieve the look. Less chance of making an Ugly Pen entry..

markgum

Great looking pen. Like the addition of the wood. Yup would have to say you have another

:bananen_smilies068:WINNER. :bananen_smilies068:

Top Bottom