New Carbide Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

First of all, thanks to jjudge for his great info on building Carbide Tools.

Made from:

• 1/2 inch Cold Rolled Steel 12L14 Round Rod, ASTM A108 (7 inch)
  • 8 inch mystery wood (Grab Bag Spindle pack from Woodcraft)
  • 3/4 smooth copper to 3/4 thread coupler (turned off nut)
  • 10-32 screws for both cutter head and shaft mounting
  • IC-2515154-8R Cutter head from Global Tooling
  • BLO Finish
Learned a few thing:

• You can't drill round metal correctly without clamps
  • Use a 60 degree starter drill bit or regular drill bit will just dance around
  • A 4 jaw chuck would have come in handy. Made this between centers then drilled on drill press
  • Learned how to properly use taps from a co-worker who used to be a machinist at a chemical plant. He brought me 3 types of 10-32 taps to create a clean thread pattern.
Now I just have to figure out how to use it properly:embarrassed:

Thanks for looking. As always, hints/tips for improvement are always welcome.

Attachments

• Carbide Tool.jpg
    Carbide Tool.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Tool Coupler.jpg
    Tool Coupler.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Tool Tip.jpg
    Tool Tip.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I see one thing that might give you a problem. The flat spot you milled for the insert is too big, the insert should be touching the shoulder so it won't turn on you. Other than that it's beautiful!:biggrin:

Alzey

I was wondering about that. i had a bit of a problem getting the blade tight and that was my first thought. Guess I will shorten the tip and re-drill the blade mount.

Thanks for the advice.

Alzey

Reground and tapped tool tip. Tip length is now 4in and handle is 8.25in.

Thanks for the advice and support from this great forum.

Attachments

• Tool Tip 2.jpg
    Tool Tip 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 209

mson

Good for you !!

I have 1/2" key stock ready to go. Just waiting on the delivery of carbide cutters and matching screws from Global Tools..

I could make the handle while I'm waiting. Nice job on the copper coupler. Did you rivet the coupler with a copper rivet ?

Also, did you epoxy the bit mount into the handle ?

thanks

Alzey

*** Disclaimer: This is the first one of these I have made and only have about 5 minutes of lathe time playing with it ***

No glue, no epoxy. I turned the wood to be a shade bigger than inside diameter of the coupler. I then drove the wood into the coupler until I couldn't get it move any more. If notice, there is darker ring right at the base of the copper. That is where I could not get the coupler on as far as I made. So I filled the gap with savings and CA. I then put the back on between centers and turned off the nut shape (see picture for coupler). After everything was complete, I drilled a 1/2 hole in the wood to take the handle.

I use a drill press V block to clamp the 1/2 rod. Then slid the handle over the rod under the drill bit. I drilled a hole though the coupler, wood and 1/2 rod. I then drilled the coupler so the screw would slide though it and drilled a shallow counter sink. I then removed the 1/2 rod and taped it to 10-32.

Final assembly is held together with a 10-32 x 1inch screw.

The only thing I would have done different would have been to use a smaller drill bit than 1/2 inch to make the tool insert a tighter fit. But right now with the screw there is no movement in the tool. Time will tell if I need to rethink the handle.

Attachments

• copperfitting-female-adapter.jpg
    copperfitting-female-adapter.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Top Bottom