Nespresso Pixie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Does anyone reading this own a Nespresso Coffee maker, specifically the Pixie model.
I was working out of town this weekend and the office I was at, this gal brought her coffee maker in and made everyone a cappuccino or espresso.
I have and old school Bialetti machine which is ok but messy. The unit this gal had made coffee just as good and I was thinking about getting one. So if you have any thoughts on this that would be great.
Oh BTW they are $299.00 in Canada with the milk frother.

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Looks like it uses the Keurig-style pre-packaged cups rather than freshly ground beans.

I prefer to grind my beans on demand. Smells so good.

They make cups for the Keurig that you can fill with freshly ground coffee and put in the keurig machine. With just the two of us, we don't drink enough coffee to make a pot full at a time, so the single cup brewer works better for us. But I, too, like mine freshly ground so I use the little red cups and make my own K-cups with whatever beans I want.

Docholiday

I used to own that model. It made ok shots and good lattes with the frother. It definitely doesn't have real crema like you get from a correctly pulled shot with fresh beans on a nice espresso machine. The fake crema is basically microform from a pressurized portafilter system. Real crema is, if I remember correctly, the coffee oils dissolved by the pressure through the coffe puck which also needs the degassing of CO2 from fresh beans (<14 days ideally). I thought the shots tasted ok, and it's sure an easy way to do it. You sure won't get the rediculously good shot possible from a full fledged espresso machine. But then again, good ones are expensive and also require an expensive grinder. I'd be glad to answer specific questions if I know the answer. The good thing is, they're popular enough to get a good part of your money back by selling it on Ebay if you no longer want it.

I used to own that model. It made ok shots and good lattes with the frother. It definitely doesn't have real crema like you get from a correctly pulled shot with fresh beans on a nice espresso machine. The fake crema is basically microform from a pressurized portafilter system. Real crema is, if I remember correctly, the coffee oils dissolved by the pressure through the coffe puck which also needs the degassing of CO2 from fresh beans (<14 days ideally). I thought the shots tasted ok, and it's sure an easy way to do it. You sure won't get the rediculously good shot possible from a full fledged espresso machine. But then again, good ones are expensive and also require an expensive grinder. I'd be glad to answer specific questions if I know the answer. The good thing is, they're popular enough to get a good part of your money back by selling it on Ebay if you no longer want it.

You're correct about the crema. CO2, Nitrogen etc. Decent home Espresso machines start around 5-6k plus, the grinder at least 1k -- and then there would be the matter of a water filtration system etc.
That's a hell of an investment (but one wish I could make)

Personally I use a Baratza Encore as my grinder, with a gooseneck kettle and a pour over system. A metal Hario V60 is my go to currently. Fresh ground beans minutes before I pour coffee. It's a wonderful ritual and will beat the keurig on any cup it makes hands down.

Top Bottom