Needing advise on a Drum Sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I am looking for a drum sander to sand my smaller pieces to be laminated together and thought this would be a great option. I'm just not sure which one to get. Anyone have one to reccommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

I have a Grizzly, works great .........not sure of the model # as I sit here, bit it is the floor model, and has 10 or so different dia sleeves

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have the Performax 1020 (now made by Jet). It's not as big as the 1632 but is big enough for my needs. Picked it up used off Craigs list a few years ago for $300.

gbpens

I also have the JET 1632 works very well but has turned out to be over-kill for small projects. It does very well even on pieces a 16th of an inch thick. Define your needs before buying and look for demonstrations at a local wood shop such as Woodcraft.

I use the Jet 16-32, great machine, no problems at all. I also do segmented bowls and multi-generation projects and this works for all my needs. It will sand short pieces if needed, although I usually tape them to a flat board for safety.

pensbydesign

i use a jet 10/20 for years for this works great, this week i upgraded to the 22/44 for bigger projects will probably keep the smaller one.

jfoh

I have a 10/20 and it works well. If you have space issues bigger is not often better. My 10/20 does very thin sanding and is easy to store when not in use, which is most of the time. You can sand down to 1/16 or less if you place the wood on a larger board with a piece of 600 girt sand paper taped face up to the board. It holds the thin wood so the machine can sand it. Flip over a few times and you will get a perfectly sanded, ultra thin insert that can match your saw kerf exactly.

If you are going to do large projects a 16/32 sander might make more sense. But for pens it is over kill just like a 12" table saw is over kill.

mhbeauford

I have the Performax 1020 (now made by Jet). It's not as big as the 1632 but is big enough for my needs. Picked it up used off Craigs list a few years ago for $300.

I've got this one too. Works great for most of the things I do. I also have delta 13" planer. Between the two I can process nearly any kind of cuts I want.

Top Bottom