need wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from danroggensee

danroggensee

Hi all I am in need of some Cocobola (I think that is how it is spelled) but it needs to be 6x6x10 need to make a urn for my friend. so if you know where i can get for a reasonable price let me know.

Dannie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

I'd be stunned if you could find that size at any price, but if you could, and it was actually Cocobolo, expect to pay a few hundred for it if not more. It must not be a very big tree, because I've never actually seen a piece that big, although I could easily be wrong here. Check with Matt (search Gadget under members), he still has to this day the nicest Cocobolo I've eve seen, anywhere. He would know if it's even available that big, then you can think about pulling your Platinum Amex out!

Good luck,
Dale

P.S. You may also check Cook Woods. Don't have a link handy, but they have nice stuff too (expensive) in lots of sizes. I just checked them for curiosity's sake. They had a 10x8x4.5(usable) that was burned in a fire for 108 bucks. This stuff ain't cheap. They had another pretty piece, long and thin, for 400+ bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all I am in need of some Cocobola (I think that is how it is spelled) but it needs to be 6x6x10 need to make a urn for my friend. so if you know where i can get for a reasonable price let me know.

Dannie
do you need 6"X6"X10" or 6"X6"X10 feet? I probably have what you need if it is the first option.

wayno

woodcraft in Ft Worth, Tx has a fantastic piece marked $94.00 I saw it yesterday. It is the size your looking for. Their supplier gets primo cocobola. This piece is beautiful. They ship w/ credit card.

GouletPens

Just make sure you use DC, have a fan blowing and wear a respirator with that stuff.....Cocobolo along with all the Dalbergias is highly toxic and is really really bad to breathe in/have sand dust all over your arms. Beautiful wood but like many things you must be respectful of what you're working with.

danroggensee

Hi Brain I wear and long sleve lab coat when i turn anything and a mask or respirator. And some time rubber gloves. I do not have a DC but use a Shop Vac.

Dannie

Last edited:

Fred

The link posted by PTolemy above is to a fantastic site that maintains a great stocked warehouse that has all one might ever need as far as exotic woods are concerned. I just wish I lived in CA as their place would be a dream to tour.

http://www.anexotichardwood.com/pricelist.html

Check down the page for Cocobolo and across the top for the sizes available. they appear to be able to fill your needs and size requirements. Call first to be sure.

BTW, thanks Brian for their link. I believe it will prove to be another valuable source for many of us. :)

danroggensee

Thanks for all the replys but when i talked to my friend and told him about what it would cost in Cocobolo he changed his mind and ask me to find something that would not cost so much. so now am looking for something else. Don't know what yet but will find something he likes.

dannie

S

spiritwoodturner

I think that's wise, Dannie. I wasn't going to say anything, but I wouldn't pick Cocobolo for an urn. Not only can it be silly expensive, it's not the most forgiving wood, which you probably know. One catch on the inside (not all that hard to do) and "Bye Bye Urn". And so long to some cash too. Don't remember you saying whether this was a funerary urn, but if so you can find some lovely maple and perhaps do a contrasting lid/rim. And do it all reasonably.

Anyway, keep us posted with your finished product!

Dale

danroggensee

ok this is what im thinking about doing a segmented urn for him out of maple and cherry and walnut. yes it is a Funerary urn it for his 2 dogs that has pass last month right now he has them in a cardboard box. He does not want to bury them for what ever reason it is his business. I gave him a pen for his bday out of cocobolo and that is when he ask me if i could do one for him. so will keep you all informed what we do.

Dannie

Last edited:
Top Bottom