need wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone i.d. this wood for me? I lost the piece of tape with
the wood type on it. I guess I will use marker and write right on the blank from now on.
Thanks in advance,
Glenn
200513115219_IM004912.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

Sorry I can't help you ID it but, if you use marker won't it bleed pretty deep? Esp if it is indeed a soft wood?

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I used a blue permanent marker on some ash blanks and the ink penetrated very deep. I tried to use the blanks for Polaris pens and had to chuck them. Learned a lesson. The wood in the pic has some of the grain pattern of the ash but it is the wrong colour; I find ash to be quite light, nearly white, in colour unless I BLO it.

dougle40

I don't have a clue as to what it could be but my guess would be some kind of Pine . It almost doesn't look real , like something an artist might have come up with . I too would love to see the finished pen .

Gary Max

Glenn if you look at my photo's.--on the second page--see if a pen that I turned out of BIG leaf Pine--it looks the same.
Hard could be ---old.
Just a thought--if it is pine you will know as soon as you turn it.
It will smell like a fresh cut pine 2x4.

Lou

Longleaf (mistakenly termed "big leaf"} pine (Pinus palustris ) is a dwindling resource originally found throughout the southeast and south, from Virginia to Texas. Due to over logging over the past three centuries, it's natural habitat has been reduced by 97% and old growth is found only in private stands and a few natural stands in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. The blank show above is an example of this tree. The grain as shown is unusual, but not particularly rare among other specimens. Auburn University's Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center houses an organization aimed at preserving this specie.

JimGo

Wow Lou, I'm impressed! I love this board for the diversity of the people on here, from chemists, to botanists, to electrical engineers (like me), to intellectual property attorneys (also me!), to people with no science or math backgrounds, but a heck of a creative bent. I've really learned a lot in the short time I've been here!

melogic

Look at this link http://tinyurl.com/4ag7y on the bottom of the page. Could this be the same or similar thing? (Gold Dessert Ironwood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom