need to know how to stabilize

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbrock

Anyone got a good link on here on how to stabilize pen blanks. I have a about 80 spalted maple blanks that need stabilized and I have never done that before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atomic ray

I have one for the crowd...which woods require stabilizing?

Thanks

:bananen_smilies027:

PS
I am guessing the softer woods or those with a loose grain?

BigguyZ

I've taken a blanket approach to stabilizing. Any wood will go into my PVP. I will do it in batches. Light woods first, then dark/ oily woods next. That way you don't stain the rest of the blanks.

I'd also suggest using a venturi (Or HF vacuum block, same thing). I used my new GAST vacuum pump, and it doesn't work as well now...

But after having far too many woods move and ruin a finish, I still stabilize everything I can. If it'll help, it'll help. If it won't, no harm in trying.

PTownSubbie

I've taken a blanket approach to stabilizing. Any wood will go into my PVP. I will do it in batches. Light woods first, then dark/ oily woods next. That way you don't stain the rest of the blanks.

I'd also suggest using a venturi (Or HF vacuum block, same thing). I used my new GAST vacuum pump, and it doesn't work as well now...

But after having far too many woods move and ruin a finish, I still stabilize everything I can. If it'll help, it'll help. If it won't, no harm in trying.

Are you still using the Plexi-Tone stabilizing solution or something aftermarket?

its_virgil

Pack'em up. Send'em off. Get'em back and they are ready to go. No muss, no fuss and you can turn something else instead of messing with stabilizing. I would rather let the pros do mine. Others obviously disagree but that is just fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Anyone got a good link on here on how to stabilize pen blanks. I have a about 80 spalted maple blanks that need stabilized and I have never done that before.

Top Bottom