Need suggestion on hollowing tool for small stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

I need help choosing a hollowing tool. I need one for making bird houses both small and large. Smallest opening is 1 inch up to birdhouse with 2 1/2 inch openings. Plus I want to make some ornaments and I also want to make small vessels say about 6 inches tall by about 6 inches in diameter max. So I am looking for a tool that can do all of these things. I was thinking of the sorby tool that has different tips. I dont want to make a tool. Would prefer to purchase one. I was also looking at the Ellsworth small hollowing tool with the bent bar. I wont be doing large forms just smallish stuff. Need something that can also get up under the lip like on the opening of the birdhouse.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I have the Sorby and just used it for the first time just a bit ago. It was working great until I got a little aggressive and cut all the way through the form I was hollowing. I was pleased with the tool, though.

firewhatfire

Make your own, I took a knife sharpening rod that comes with a knife set and ground it down to fit in a small opening. Sorta like a miniature hollowing tool. Plus you can find those cheap at yard sales and flea markets.

refueler1

I have the Sorby and just used it for the first time just a bit ago. It was working great until I got a little aggressive and cut all the way through the form I was hollowing. I was pleased with the tool, though.

Which Sorby do you have?

Donna

I use the mini Munro hollower and really like it. Try to find someone in a turning club near you to test it first.

run91

Easy wood tools just came out with an new small hollowing tools. I use them on the bird houses and small goblets and orenments

refueler1

Easy wood tools just came out with an new small hollowing tools. I use them on the bird houses and small goblets and orenments

Are those the ones with the tiny round cutters? Think I saw those at woodcraft. Everyone keeps telling me to make some out of allen wrenches but then everyone also complains about how mush the handle wants to twist due to the torque on the cutter.

Top Bottom