Need some tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Any of those that use a black background and a black plexiglass platform, care to share some tips on how to set this up. I tried this with my metal pen and could not get any color right and the amount of dust shows up. Need some pointers. Thanks for the replys.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I use an 18% grey card set in place of the pen to set a custom white balance within my camera. that takes care of the color. You can also use it to measure/set your exposure to what you end up knowing is "proper". but I usually end up tweaking it a bit brighter from that setting.

as for dust, I use a dust-fighting auto wax on the pens, novus-1 (which has an anti-static component) on the black acrylic, a lint free cloth to wipe everything down, and lastly, my photo editing software to remove the last dust spots I can't otherwise keep out of the photo.

gk

jttheclockman

I use an 18% grey card set in place of the pen to set a custom white balance within my camera. that takes care of the color. You can also use it to measure/set your exposure to what you end up knowing is "proper". but I usually end up tweaking it a bit brighter from that setting.

as for dust, I use a dust-fighting auto wax on the pens, novus-1 (which has an anti-static component) on the black acrylic, a lint free cloth to wipe everything down, and lastly, my photo editing software to remove the last dust spots I can't otherwise keep out of the photo.

gk

How do you set your lights up?? Are you using a photo tent??? Do yopu have the lights coming in on the sides, the front or from the top??? Thanks.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I know I've posted this before but I can't find the thread.

attachment.jpg

I have two lights coming in from the sides. these two provide overall lighting and shadow control. I also have one coming in from the front just above the camera. this third light produces the reflection that shows off the shine.

gk

Attachments

• PhotoTent-1.jpg
    PhotoTent-1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 155
Top Bottom