Need some suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

Hello,

Names Tim, I have a fickle that I landed in and would like some suggestions. I have a HF metal lathe and was trying to make a die holder to try my hand at a kitless when the circuit board melted and shorted the motor and melted the back half of it. Thinking of scraping the frame and pulling the chuck and mounting it on a 3 inch face plate to use on my jet mini wood lathe. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

First thing I would do is contact HF and see if they will replace unit or sell you repair parts at a good price. Little Machine Shop has repair parts also. If all else fails sell the lathe as is and use proceeds to buy a chuck for the Jet wood lathe.

Ben

frank123

If I read your post right both the controller and motor are shot?

I used to have a problem blowing the controller mosfets on my 7x10 (which is currently a 7x12) till I decided to replace the controller with a different type. (The mosfets are easy enough to replace and are the most common part to fail in the controller, but it's a pain to keep replacing them).

Went to a Cycletrol 150 DC motor controller, which ended up with a burned out motor from pushing it too hard (I knew better, but the temptation got to me). Then went to adding a 3/4 hp dc motor running the original lathe drive gear train via a speed reducing jack shaft (way too big to get in the same space as that tiny little original thing) and have had no problems since.

The greater HP and speed range let me then go to a 4" chuck with no power deficiency in driving it.

Of course, it is no longer really a 7x10 (or 7x12) in any sense except the castings, but the effort was worth it and I can pretty much machine anything that will fit in it.

Takes a bit of time and some ingenuity, but if you've burned out both the controller and the motor it may be worth it to try this alteration. Those little original motors are inordinately expensive. If you do have to replace them, I think the mini mill motor and controller may fit in the original lathe location, but not sure about it, and they are a much better motor and controller.

plano_harry

There are many posts on CNCZone about people who have replaced their motors and controllers. May take some time to find what you need. Great reason to convert it to 3-axis CNC :wink:

If I read your post right both the controller and motor are shot?

I used to have a problem blowing the controller mosfets on my 7x10 (which is currently a 7x12) till I decided to replace the controller with a different type. (The mosfets are easy enough to replace and are the most common part to fail in the controller, but it's a pain to keep replacing them).

Went to a Cycletrol 150 DC motor controller, which ended up with a burned out motor from pushing it too hard (I knew better, but the temptation got to me). Then went to adding a 3/4 hp dc motor running the original lathe drive gear train via a speed reducing jack shaft (way too big to get in the same space as that tiny little original thing) and have had no problems since.

The greater HP and speed range let me then go to a 4" chuck with no power deficiency in driving it.

Of course, it is no longer really a 7x10 (or 7x12) in any sense except the castings, but the effort was worth it and I can pretty much machine anything that will fit in it.

Takes a bit of time and some ingenuity, but if you've burned out both the controller and the motor it may be worth it to try this alteration. Those little original motors are inordinately expensive. If you do have to replace them, I think the mini mill motor and controller may fit in the original lathe location, but not sure about it, and they are a much better motor and controller.

Top Bottom