Need snakeskin advise please;

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptG

I have made 3 atlas style rattlesnake skin pens and no problems. I have a buyer for an american flat top style in rattlesnake. The bottom looks great, but when I try to remove the 1/8 inch from the end, down to the brass, the skin catches and blows out pieces of the blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gary,

I have successfully removed skins to the tube by using a skew, long point. Be careful not to go THROUGH the tube. Cut through the "plastic" with the skew, then remove material with a parting tool. If you feel insecure with a skew, do this a little at a time, but make sure the skew cuts the skin before you try to remove it with the parting tool.

JimGo

I've never done a flat top American (to the best of my recollection), so remember that as you read my reply!!! However, usually there are alternative ways of dealing with centerbands, such as by gluing them in place. Have you considered this? It's what I usually do on the Havana pens, because I never remember to turn the tennon (or, as Don Ward prefers to call it, the tendon) until after the pen is finished and ready for assembly.

Skye

I've made an oops band in one. I just parted all the way down to the skin, the plastic comes away from the skin. Used a carpet knife to cut through the skin, then scraped it off with the razor.

(ignore the sanding lines, I was testing something out, lol)

snake2-1.jpg

CaptG

Thanks for the input. I will be trying your suggestions as soon as the temp. comes back up in the shop. Skye, Nice looking pen,what are the green bands?

its_virgil

No Jim, I'm the anti-tendon guy. [;)]I did not find a Wallstreet kit either. sorry!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I've never done a flat top American (to the best of my recollection), so remember that as you read my reply!!! However, usually there are alternative ways of dealing with centerbands, such as by gluing them in place. Have you considered this? It's what I usually do on the Havana pens, because I never remember to turn the tennon (or, as Don Ward prefers to call it, the tendon) until after the pen is finished and ready for assembly.

Russb

Like Ed says. With the long point down and the heel straight up slice the skin to the tube and remove the waste with a parting tool. This should not be a problem as it is not a technique that causes the dreaded skew catch.

CaptG

Thank you all so much for your help. Pen is done and I had no problems when I followed your advice. Photo is in my album, I would post it here, but I am not the most confuser literate person around and have yet to figure how to get the pictures where I want it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom