Need Kiln Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I have an old under counter refrigerator that I want to turn into a kiln. I have found tons of info on building kilns but nowhere can I find out what size holes you need for incoming and outgoing air. Does anyone here have any idea?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I wouldn't think you'd need or want anything too big. If you draw too
much air, you lose the heat. But you do want to draw out moisture.
If you're using light bulbs for a heat source, maybe something like
a PC fan would be about right.. but that's just a guess. I never built one.

Whaler

I am going to use light bulbs and a small fan. I was thinking of drilling 2 !" holes at the bottom and top to see how it works, I can always drill more if needed.

Fred

I am going to use light bulbs and a small fan. I was thinking of drilling 2 !" holes at the bottom and top to see how it works, I can always drill more if needed.

Thats the same theory as, 'measure twice and cut once.' :cool:

All you want is to release the moisture from the inside and the rising heat and moisture will do that all by itself.

IF there is any high spot on the inside top area then that is where I would drill my vent holes. I cannot remember ever seeing an impression in the top, but, hey, one never knows these days. Just do not frill into the back as I doubt that all the moisture would escape with any ease.

Be sure to cover the drilled holes to prevent the inside becoming a home to 'critters' over a period of time during non-use of the kiln ... we don't need another honey bee story here ... or worse! :eek:

cnccutter

Last kiln I built was really simple. ran on three light bulbs that I could adjust with a dimmer to change the heat. like Fred said the vent hole was high. I screwed a sheet metal flap next to it so I could adjust the flow of exit air if need. seemed like once I fooled with it and got it set it was pretty much run by itself with very little thought.

Erik

ldb2000

I used a styrofoam ice chest and a fishtank heater to build a kiln for drying pen blanks . I used the vent assembly from an old charcoal grill to adjust the exhaust opening . Now I use another one foil lined without the vent to heat my mold and PR and post cure my PR blanks . I just adjust the thermostat on the heater to adjust the inside temperature . It can maintain a fixed temperature from 90 to 150 degrees.
One 1" hole towards the top with some way to adjust the opening and one 1" hole down low is fine . You just want to let out a little air but not all your heat .

Last edited:

snyiper

I just ran across a nice free dehumidifier I will mount in a box to dry out wood.......very small inlets about 3/4 inch

philb

Any chance of a link to all that kiln info? Have seen a fridge with a light bulb and fan, but that looked more like a stress-reliever rather than a green to dry kiln.

Someone did tell me to put a dehumidifier in a fridge with the water collection pipe outside, so a sealed tank with a moisture sucker! Then when now more water comes out, its done?

PHIL

themartaman

Dehumidifier snd humidistat are needed. Search google for "Dehumidifier Kiln" If you run the dehumidifier all the time wood will split. Has to be gradual. I dry bowls I turn from green wood in a microwave. Use brown paper bag with saw dust or wood chips inside. Heat-cool-heat-cool-heat-cool. Should work good for pen blanks. Lot of trial and error.

Top Bottom