Need Ideas for Scout Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

My son's den is having a meeting in a couple of weeks to do two woodworking projects. I have pieces cut for good birdhouses, but am still looking for a good second project. We've already done the little toolbox, and we did pens in an earlier meeting. We'll have about 15 boys and I will be pre-cutting the pieces. Any ideas?

BTW: these are 4th and 5th graders.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

I took some pine blocks and some jumbo popsicle sticks and had the cubs make simple napkin holders (two sticks on each side, to form a triangle with the abse). Ours stayed on the table about 8 years! It helps to predrill the sticks so they don't crack when the kids hammer the nails into the block. And you can just glue the top joint.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I was in the scouts, we made slingshots!!:eek::eek::eek:

If you're tired of being a scout master, you could try that, these days!!

Also made the chunk of wood that you could balance your belt on your hand with--- that MIGHT still be acceptable, if it is not considered too close to a KNIFE!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We did hangers once. You can buy the hooks pretty cheap and rough out the outside shape, they can design a little interior motif to scroll saw out. Scrap wood for sure.

Dan26

Rubber-band guns! Pretty easy to cut. You could have the boys sand, assemble (what little there is) and paint them. Even have them design their own targets. Then at a later meeting, have a shooting competition.

cbatzi01

My FIL did repeater rubber-band guns. He still talks about those, wanting to make them with the grandkids. I am sure the pattern is still out in the shed if you are interested.

lwalden

We made simple display shelves to hang on the wall for either their "Rain-Gutter Regatta" ships or their pinewood derby cars. 1" X 6" for the back and 1" X 4" for the shelf, crosscut sled on the tablesaw to cut to length (10"), bandsaw the corners, touchup cuts with the disc sander, cut a shallow dado in the back to receive the shelf on the router table, drill three holes through the dado for sheet rock screws to pull the shelf up tight to the back and hold it while the glue dries, and you're ready for artistic customization............

fstinard

step stools are pretty easy we do 8 scouts in an hour at the shop I teach in with the scouts cutting with couping saws and an adult helping with a brad nailer

jkeithrussell

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to have them make a birdhouse and a simple box with screen mesh on the roof for holding/observing critters.

jkeithrussell

Here comes the SPCA!!!

Did the critters get a TRIAL??? They accused of a crime?? Evidence???

They are guilty of being critters, as proven by the fact that they are in an observation box. Most of the critters are released unharmed. Those that aren't probably deserved their fate.

Trials are overrated in any event.

Grim Spirit

You could always go for a simple Water Viewer. The type that lets a person look below the surface. Would be great if you're around any body of water.

All it is is a topless box, 4 sides wood and a bottom of plexiglass/acrylic. Some have hand holes, and other just rope knotted through two drilled holes. Would teach them about woodworking, gluing and sealing. Plus they're just plain fun.

Jgrden

We live on a lake, maybe you live near on as well. The Boy Scout leader here was often asking people to donate the use of their canoes for the scouts. I had a conoe that was in terrible shape, old and unsafe. I asked him if he would take it as a donation as a project for the scouts. They repairs were fibre glass related and one rail needed to be stiffened. There is an idea, for my .02 cents worth. I would place a wanted add.

AceMrFixIt

When I was a den leader I took my scroll saw to a meeting for derby cars. They had supervision and had a great time. Any time tools were involved they seemed to enjoy it.

Top Bottom