Need ideas for motorcyclist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Hello, all -

I know I've been absent a lot lately, I'll just beg off with my standard of late - I have a 3-mo old son. :biggrin:

Anyway, I've been asked by my MIL to come up with a pen for a good friend of hers that is a mathematician and motorcycle enthusiast. She stressed the motorcycle theme, and I have NO idea what I could do. Does anyone have any ideas, or can someone direct me to some examples I can try to flatter by emulation? She did not know cycle brands or anything, but supposedly he has a super-special bike of some sort, one of only 2 in NV. (I'm paraphrasing.)

Many thanks,

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
:tongue in cheek:
Since he is a mathematician you could cover a white blank with statistics of motorcycle accidents and survival rates.

Seriously, I tried to google for rare nevadaen motorcycles but the info is too vague for google to come up with something useful. Your best bet is to try to get a photo of the motorcycle in question (or even just the make/model so you can search out a picture yourself). If you get that you can either cast it onto the tube as previously suggested or send the turned blank and photo to a laser engraver and have it burned into the pen itself.

Good luck!!
GK

Dave_M

Dave_M

Another idea I thought of would be to cast something in the new hi-viz yellow material. I just bought a new moto jacket and one thing that is becoming increasingly popular amongst us ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)riders is high visibility. The more I can be seen, all the better. When I wear this jacket, being seen is a given. This pic doesn't do it justice. In bright sun light this yellow is obnoxiously bright. It is easily seen a quarter mile away. I have people coming up to me all the time to tell me about how obnoxiously bright it is. I just tell them it matches my personality.

I'm not sure where to get this stuff, but I would like to have one to go with my jacket. I'm sure others would also, but it would probably be a small niche in the scheme of things.

Olympia GT Air2.jpg

workinforwood

If you want to make a motorcylce pen for me, it's pretty simple. The pen would be a deer antler with some rubber scrub marks on it and a few drops of blood. That pretty much covers all my motorcycle experiences.

Dave_M

If you want to make a motorcylce pen for me, it's pretty simple. The pen would be a deer antler with some rubber scrub marks on it and a few drops of blood. That pretty much covers all my motorcycle experiences.

Ok,
Now that there is funny! I know a few guys that would agree with you. :biggrin:

jimbob91577

I thought about asking ElMostro to try and cut & cast a Malteese Cross in black Alumilite. Similar to the Red Crosses he does in white.

Bikerdad

First, there is a fairly uncommon Moto Guzzi, the Nevada. It's possible its one of those. If so, I'd suggest a segmented blank that's Red/White/Green for one half, Blue and Silver for the other half. Those are the colors of the Italian and Nevada flags, respectively.

If it's a Harley Davidson, simply go with the three HD colors: Black, Orange, and somewhere between gunmetal and silver. Or chrome.

Another possibility if the bike is a cruiser is to turn the pen out of Aluminum. The pen will therefore be a Billet Pen. If it's a custom "chopper" (possible), then your best bet would be to turn a blank somewhat undersize, take it to a good nailbrush painter, and have her (most likely) paint the pen with a paintjob that echoes the paintjob on the bike, then overlay the paint with resin, turn it back down to size (without, of course, screwing up the paint job), assemble, present. While it would likely be in the spirit of a custom cruiser to make the pen uncomfortable to use, why rub it in?

One more option for the cruiser crowd would be either a snakeskin blank with chrome, or a leather blank with chrome.

Next possibility is a sportbike. If its an Italian bike, see above for the Italian colors. If it's a Japanese sportbike, each Japanase maker has a signature color. You could have a blank made in that color, and then turn the pen. 'Tis a similar situation for dirtbikes. Signature colors. Another possibility for a sportbike rider is either a carbon fiber pen, or figuring out some way of making a pen using stainless braided brake line. Last possibility for either of these is an anodized aluminum or a titanium body pen, as both materials are used frequently when customizing sportbikes and dirt/motocross bikes.

Next up come the Wings and other luxury tourers. Comfort pen all the way, with chrome accents, and a lit'l CB antenna. Or a Gentleman, after all, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda."

Last are the real motorcycles. Well, "near real", the BMW touring bikes. For one of these, it's gotta be a gadget pen. Make it pricey.

Finally we come to the real motorcyles. They are farely rare, as the number of folks who have enough wisdom to recognize them is low. STeeds. Fast, comfortable, nimble, reliable and long legged. Did I mention fast? Most STeed pens would best be in the shape of a rocket booster, except for the blue ones, which don't need boosters, 'cause they're already "oh crap" fast. Anybody with a red STeed would probably need two pens, 'cause that's the slowest color, so it needs two boosters to keep up with the blue ones. :tongue: Lanman's right about making it a really bright color, and a little flashing LED in the cap would be nice touch. A Polaris or Atlas (like STeeds, both are intercontinental missiles) would be a good kit.

Oh, and if it's a STeed pen, go rollerball or twist, not fountain. STeeds cover so much territory that the rider would run out of ink making notes on his maps too often. Gotta keep the refill regimen simple as possible.

Last edited:
First, there is a fairly uncommon Moto Guzzi, the Nevada. It's possible its one of those. If so, I'd suggest a segmented blank that's Red/White/Green for one half, Blue and Silver for the other half. Those are the colors of the Italian and Nevada flags, respectively.

If it's a Harley Davidson, simply go with the three HD colors: Black, Orange, and somewhere between gunmetal and silver. Or chrome.

Another possibility if the bike is a cruiser is to turn the pen out of Aluminum. The pen will therefore be a Billet Pen. If it's a custom "chopper" (possible), then your best bet would be to turn a blank somewhat undersize, take it to a good nailbrush painter, and have her (most likely) paint the pen with a paintjob that echoes the paintjob on the bike, then overlay the paint with resin, turn it back down to size (without, of course, screwing up the paint job), assemble, present. While it would likely be in the spirit of a custom cruiser to make the pen uncomfortable to use, why rub it in?

One more option for the cruiser crowd would be either a snakeskin blank with chrome, or a leather blank with chrome.

Next possibility is a sportbike. If its an Italian bike, see above for the Italian colors. If it's a Japanese sportbike, each Japanase maker has a signature color. You could have a blank made in that color, and then turn the pen. 'Tis a similar situation for dirtbikes. Signature colors. Another possibility for a sportbike rider is either a carbon fiber pen, or figuring out some way of making a pen using stainless braided brake line. Last possibility for either of these is an anodized aluminum or a titanium body pen, as both materials are used frequently when customizing sportbikes and dirt/motocross bikes.

Next up come the Wings and other luxury tourers. Comfort pen all the way, with chrome accents, and a lit'l CB antenna. Or a Gentleman, after all, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda."

Last are the real motorcycles. Well, "near real", the BMW touring bikes. For one of these, it's gotta be a gadget pen. Make it pricey.

Finally we come to the real motorcyles. They are farely rare, as the number of folks who have enough wisdome to recognize them is low. STeeds. Fast, comfortable, nimble, reliable and long legged. Did I mention fast? Most STeed pens would best be in the shape of a rocket booster, except for the blue ones, which don't need boosters, 'cause they're already "oh crap" fast. Anybody with a red STeed would probably need two pens, 'cause that's the slowest color, so it needs two boosters to keep up with the blue ones. :tongue: Lanman's right about making it a really bright color, and a little flashing LED in the cap would be nice touch. A Polaris or Atlas (like STeeds, both are intercontinental missiles) would be a good kit.

Oh, and if it's a STeed pen, go rollerball or twist, not fountain. STeeds cover so much territory that the rider would run out of ink making notes on his maps too often. Gotta keep the refill regimen simple as possible.

What he said... Great answer!

If its a Harley the inlay kit mentioned above is also available through CSUSA now and it looks very cool. Wish I could add more but after the above advice I don't know what I can say.

Good luck.

jttheclockman

There was a person awhile back that took a photo of his bike and made a decal out of it using photoshop and made a pen. It was one of the sharpest pens I seen just because of the way he faded the sky colors and the edge colors into the decal. Lots of good ideas here and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top Bottom