Need help with compressor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan26

My small, 2-gallon compressor died today. I'm looking to replace it with something between 6 and 12 gallons. I'm on the cheap for this tool so I started looking at Harbor Freight and found two that would fill the bill (or billfold to be more precise). My question is, what are the pros and cons of an oil-less compressor vs. one that takes oil? Someone told me that the oil-less ones don't last as long and cost less. But the cost is so close that the price of the oil will offset the difference. I mostly use it to when casting blanks and putting air in my tires. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Get the biggest one you can afford. I have 7 of them and they all have their places. The one I use the most is a rolling Craftsman. Had it now for 6 years and never a bit of problems. Noise is the one drawback. However, it does everything in the woodshop I need it to.
I have really found little difference between oil-less ones and the ones that need oil. Taking care of them is more important and service them often......they will both last.

OOPS

Here are the questions I would ponder before making a decision. Since you had a 2 gallon compressor you should be able to determine:

1. Was the 2 gallon compressor running all the time? Filling tires is not a major demand for air, unless they are flat. If your pressure pot is set at 45-60 lbs. did that cause the compressor to run for longer periods of time?

2. Was the noise tolerable to you?

3. Do you intend to increase your production of blanks substantially in the future?

It is true that oil type compressors are quieter and last longer, but that does not necessarily mean you need one. If the noise isn't a problem to you and your needs are occasional rather than daily, a oilless will last a good long time, if properly cared for. I have found that the larger tank really reduces the amount of times the compressor runs and if I were buying I would go for the biggest tank I could reasonably afford. Later on, you can add an additional storage tank if need be, although that method is more expensive than getting a bigger tank with the initial compressor purchase.

IMO, I really hate the noise. I prefer the oil style compressors for this reason. However, if you plan to use the shop and know you will need air, you can turn on the compressor, then leave the shop for a few minutes while gathering your blanks or kits, then return when its quiet. There are lots of ways to look at this.

I hope this helps sort out your dilemma. I tend to agonize over these decisions myself, so I know how it feels.

Dan26

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'll be going with an oiled compressor. Bill, those are some good questions. They helped me make a decision.

jttheclockman

I have a few compressors both oiled and oiless. One other question I would ask yourself is what jobs am I going to be using this for. I have a small oiless to carry around easily whenever I am doing carpentry work away from the home. I can use all my air guns to get a job done quicker and easier. As mentioned if cared for both type will provide long years of service. The noise factor is something to consider. Good luck.

sschering

I've had a Dewalt D55155 for 10 years.. Great compressor..
Oiled pump made by Emglo.
Not as quiet as a 500 rpm belt drive but it runs about half the speed of a oilless unit and gets up to pressure in 90 seconds from 0.

Top Bottom