Need Help please with a Jet mini lathe1014vs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscrper

--that has developed a "wobble" that can be seen as the headstock hand wheel rotates. I've dismantled the headstock, removing the hand wheel, spindle, taking the pulley off the spindle, checking the belt etc. I am not hearing any unusual noises. I've also checked the run out with a pen mandrel and have almost none (.0005). I would love to hear suggestions on what this might be. I am having some difficulty getting a completely round turning most obvious with a pen blank on the lathe. Thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

That hand wheel is not a precision part. Maybe not even round. I think you can change the runout of the hand wheel by tightening the set screws differently, but should not have any effect on the lathe performance. If you only have .0005 at the mandrel, it's operator error that is making it out of round. What tools are you using? Letting the chisel do the cutting, or forcing it into the blank? Sanding too long with fine grits? Tailstock aligned with head stock? Bent pen mandrel?

Last edited:

Katsin

While you consider how to resolve… a suggestion… I have a cheap lathe with some minor runout issues and I turn one blank at a time for two blank pens and this minimizes most runout issues for me as it gets worse the further I am from the headstock.

woodscrper

Well, I think I failed to mention the vibration I feel in the spindle. Otherwise, I seem to be doing the one blank at a time, not spending too much time, but I will try less with the sandpaper. Do either of you think it could be a bearing? Thanks again

shastastan

If it was a bearing, I think you would hear some noise. Are you using a mandrel saver? As noted above, a bent mandrel could be your problem. I've bent a few and learned the hard way not to over tighten. When you say there's vibration in the spindle, do you mean inside the head stock or are you feeling vibration from the mandrel? Again, that could be from a bent mandrel. You can look side with the door open with the lathe going just to see if things appear to be running true. Just my 4 cents worth.

low_48

Take the belt off the motor pulley and run just the motor. Check for vibration. Put the belt back on, and don't overtighten. Is it the same? There is so little revolving mass in the lathe head, something would have to drastically wrong. The motor or the belt are more likely to be the problem. You don't have a chuck on it when you feel the vibration do you? It's not uncommon to have a point in the speed range where you can feel a slight vibration. Harmonics, and rotating mass kind of problem.

NAgrandpa

Changed bearings

After months of being away from my 1014 I set up to start turning again, with 7 mm slim line. I noticed a lot of wobble in my mandrel and could feel the wobble. I took the mandrel out , put on my jaws and put a blank in with a drill in the tail stock (in the chuck). when the point of the drill bit touched the blank it started wobbling. To make a long story short, I called the mfg. technical dept. I was told it was the bearings one or both. I bought two bearings from Motion industries, installed them and it now runs truer that it did (it seems like) when it was new. The bearings are not hard to change. I hope this helps.

woodscrper

Thank-you all for the advice. I have ordered new bearings and will let all y'all know how that worked for me. Nice to have so many resources and I appreciate it.

Top Bottom