Need help on Beall Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a Beall Chuck and Collets. I put the collet in perinstructions so it was fastened in the front ring and then screwed the base on that. It screwed on easily. Now here are the problems: it only unscrews a short way and hangs up tighter than a drum. After messing with it for several minutes my hubby got it to unscrew. Then put it back on and it won't unscrew again. Problem #2 what makes it close around the object I am trying to turn? It doesn't appear that the sections of the collet are closing. What am I doing wrong???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Borg_B_Borg

The first symptom seems to indicate the elliptical inner ring is catching something in the matching groove of the collet. Or it could be the threads are catching something also.

If it doesn't close around an object you try to grab, it is probably because you're trying to use it grab something that's smaller than the collet's gripping range. These collets have a collapse range of 0.039". So a nominal 1/4" collet will grip from roughly 0.211" to 0.25"

Steve

wayneis

Are you laying the ring and setting the collet in it. You may be getting the collet in a little sideways, if you do that you will certainly have trouble. Also are you putting the collet in the chuck and screwing the ring on before screwing the whole thing onto the Lathe?

Wayne

rduncan

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />Well I finally got the chuck loosened up. It appears that there is a burr on the threads of the chuck that is hanging up about half way in. Guess I just got a bad one. Thanks for the help guys.

After reading messages from various folks with issues/questions about the Beall Chuck I started to sweat ordering one. It arrived yesterday (I splurged and got the completer set). Thankfully, mine had good threads and spun right on my DVR lathe. I also remembered to insert the collets into the nose cone (or whatever he calls it) and was able to insert the mandrel rod easily into the chuck. I haven't turned on it yet but I cranked the speed up to 2500 rpm or so and didn't see any noticable runout. I think I'm going to like it!! [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom