Need help from furniture makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

I have a request from the better half to make 2 dressers to replace some old dated furniture. Typically I do not make things from plans but I am thinking of doing so on these.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for good heirloom furniture plans?
I want to use dovetails on the drawers, sliding dovetail joints and other wood joints that eliminate fasteners.
The idea is to use cherry and poplar.
I've built kitchen cabinets and small end tables, desks and entertainment centers but have never ventured into the fine craft of heirloom furniture making. I want to get away from plywood and pocket holes, if you get my meaning.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Most people go for maple for the drawer and rail construction. Still dovetail, but maple is quite a bit stronger (and just as cheap or cheaper) than poplar.

A great idea would be to check out the channel for The New Yankee Workshop. While Norm happens to like plugging pocket hole jigs and air nailers and such, he also has many period-specific projects that he does in a much more traditional manner. I loved watching that show, even if I couldn't afford 95% of the tools he enjoys using.

Mortalis

I want to use dovetails on the drawers, sliding dovetail joints and other wood joints that eliminate fasteners.
Thanks.
Dale, have you experience cutting dovetails?
I have been trying to hand cut acceptable (not even aiming for perfect yet) dovetails off and on for a couple years now.
I typically use pocket screws (Kreig) for down and dirty. I use rabbet and tenon if I want to make it a bit stronger.

Skie_M

Well, hand cutting dovetails is a skill that would take nearly a lifetime to perfect. Most people use a dovetailing jig for exactly that reason. Well worth the purchase price.

On the other hand, box jointing is also acceptable for drawer strength, and can be done with a simple jig that is little more than a table saw sled with a notch and peg arrangement. The cutting is done with a dado blade, but CAN be done with standard blades too, it just takes more passes over the blade and thus more time.

wyone

One other thing to note... if this is to be a piece of heirloom furniture, I think it is acceptable to use at least some of the joinery, techniques etc of the today. Think of it this way. In a 100 years when someone is buying it as an antique, they can look at your pocket screws and say, that was probably made in the 2000-2020s :) :)

plantman

Dale; Here are several sources I use when I build or repair heirloom furniture. Fine Woodworking. Downloadable free plans. Wood Smith Master Heirloom Projects Book. Also has online plans. This Old House. How Heirloom Furniture is Built with Thos. Moser. Features Cherry wood, old fashioned craftsmanship, and a passionate respect for the wood. Hand dovetails aren't that hard to do with a little practice on scrap wood, the correct sharp tools, and proper and exact layout. It takes time and a few simple guides to keep your saw straight. Most joints can be cut on whatever you have on hand. Anything with the word saw in it can be used with the proper settings or jigs. Being a tool collector, I have quite a few different joint makers, jigs, and joint aids that I have used in the past and present. The best one I have and use is the Leigh Super 24" Dovetail Jig. This jig can cut through and half blind dovetails, sliding dovetails, and 5/16 and 5/8" box joints. It's one piece fingers are infinitely adjustable for any joint pattern. Jim S

P.S. Cherry is a very unforgiving and expensive wood to work with on a large project. Many cabinet shops in this area use Alder in its place to keep the costs of custom units down. It looks like cherry, takes stain evenly, and does not darken with age like cherry. Jim S

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Thanks all for your responses and help.
I purchased the plans for this one. I need some time to digest the scope of it but there are mostly mortise and tenons and some things are screwed together. I may vary from the plans somewhat as it does not use drawer slides.
But now that I think of it, metal drawer slides are not really heirloom stile either.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• dresser1.jpg
    dresser1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 100

Dale Allen

I built this about a year ago and it is still holding together well. It is about half the size of the dresser so I will need to rethink my shop and assembly area. But it should be a fun winter-long project. This one is maple with a stain. The dresser may be cherry with no stain. I don't mind if it darkens over time.

Attachments

• desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 85
Top Bottom