Need disassembly help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce Meritt

I made some antler slimlines and used a rifle clip. A friend and I both agree that they would probably look better with a regular clip than the rifle clip. The shape of the pens and the way the antler polished up really looks quite elegant and the rifle clip detracts from that look.

I tried disassembling using the appropriate sized drill bit inserted "upside down" in the top of the pen and whacking it with a block of wood. The finial wouldn't budge. Any suggestions? I don't own any other type of disassembly tools. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Use your drill press as a disasembly tool. But make sure that it is NOT running. Use the leverage action to loosen your parts. This wise use of the drill press was recommended by Eagle.

-Peter-

gerryr

Do you live close to a Harbor Freight store? They have a set of transfer punches that are really great. I use them all the time, unfortunately. Disassembling a slimline finial is about as hard as it gets, except for closed end pens. I use the transfer punch and a small hammer and have to whack it several times. Once you get it out, you may or may not be able to remove the rifle clip because those things are a horribly tight fit on the finial.

Dario

Wrap the pen with some rubberband (excluding the clip). Hold it tight and give it some hefty whack. I use a wooden mallet and it usually budge after a few. If you are lucky, it will be off in a couple.

Not sure how you can do it with a drill press without damaging the finish.

wood-of-1kind

Insert a rod in the DP. Lower into brass tube which is in a raised platform and exert a downward action to disengage the finial/clip assembly. It will not scratch the finish if you are careful. A pictorial here would work better than my prose. I just know that this works from personal experience. Man, did I ever use this technique when I just started out.

-Peter-

Dario

Peter,

I am interesteed on seing a pictorial...I can't picture what holds the rest from being pushed down as well when you apply the pressure.

Royce Meritt

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Insert a rod in the DP. Lower into brass tube which is in a raised platform and exert a downward action to disengage the finial/clip assembly. It will not scratch the finish if you are careful. A pictorial here would work better than my prose. I just know that this works from personal experience. Man, did I ever use this technique when I just started out.

-Peter-

Maybe I'm just being a dope (no real surprise there) but I guess I don't understand what you are using to hold the top barrel on your drill press table that allows the finial to pop out.

Transfer punches and a small hammer have always (and often[B)]) worked for me unless the finial is glued in. I can't visualize how the drill press method would work unless the finial is smaller than the cap.

Randy_

Speaking of transfer punches, I just got a set from HF. I have a question about their use; but think I will start a new thread. Hope some of you guys will look for the thread and offer some insight.

BTW, I, too, am having some trouble understanding how to remove the finial using a DP??

wood-of-1kind

I will post some pics to demonstrate. It took me a while to decipher Eagle's original instructions but it is well worth it. I have recovered 'trannys', nibs, finials and other useable pen parts using this technique. Just wait until you see my 'copper' cushion that allow the parts to drop through. I am practically frozen out of my shop these days and have difficulty just getting the lock off my door to gain entry. Patience please.

-Peter-[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom