Need Black/Blue ebonite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

A good customer ordered two pens made from Black/Blue hardrubber (ebonite). I have only green/black on hand. I have seen some to the blue/black, but cannot find it anywhere.
If someone has blue/black and is will to sell or to trade, please let me know.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

Rudy;

Try these people -

http://www.pipemakers.org/rods02.htm

I've found them helpful - cumberland is a variant of ebonite, so it may fill your needs.

Marc

A good customer ordered two pens made from Black/Blue hardrubber (ebonite). I have only green/black on hand. I have seen some to the blue/black, but cannot find it anywhere.
If someone has blue/black and is will to sell or to trade, please let me know.
Thanks

marcruby

See if you can blackmail them into either arranging a purchase or revealing their source. I'd pitch in for a couple rods and there are a few others around here who might be interested. I don't know what the minimum quantity is. You might want to warn (or not) your customer that cumberland oxidizes over time. So does ebonite, but not as fast. Your last buffings should be with rennaisance wax.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

See if you can blackmail them into either arranging a purchase or revealing their source. I'd pitch in for a couple rods and there are a few others around here who might be interested. I don't know what the minimum quantity is. You might want to warn (or not) your customer that cumberland oxidizes over time. So does ebonite, but not as fast. Your last buffings should be with rennaisance wax.

I use one of my hard rubber pens (rods I bought from Elliott) for over a year now and do not see any changes. The material is the green/black stuff. It turns great, just smells a bit like burned tires when worked, sand extremely well and I just use some TSW after I MM'ed all the way. Just this past weekend I sold pretty much all my stock down to one pen.

marcruby

I think the process takes longer than a year. Possibly much longer than a year. There are several pen websites that talk about it and what to do. Well, I'll find out, since I have a number of ebonite pens afloat. I don't think renaissance wax is a bad idea in any case.

Marc

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Youu both hit the nail on the head. ebonite/cumberland, both vulcanized rubber, oxidize. As such, anything you put on them that keeps air from getting to the surface will slow the process down. Some folks even lacquer them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That would imply that he has a mind left!!!

All those years of watching other people not inhale, seem not to have bothered him???

DKF

Rudy:

I may have some blue/black lucite that I did purchase from Pipe Makers a while back. I will check when I get mone tonight and get back to you. Will lucite do?

Don

Top Bottom