Need advice - looking for jewel tones for Alumilte

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

QuiltinMom

Hello,

Hubby and I are going to try our hand at casting some pen blanks. We have placed an order for some molds and have also placed an order with Alumilite using the 20% birthday bash coupon (THANK YOU!!!).

We had also placed an order to a different company for some dyes. We were contacted and told that they were out of some of the colors we wanted. After further conversation we decided that the colors we ordered were not what we were wanting. Their website didn't have any color charts available so we were stabbing in the dark.

What I would love to find would be a sampler kit or a starter kit with a lot of colors in it. I would love to be able to achieve the dark jewel tone colors. Navy blue, deep purple, dark green.

Can anyone tell me if the Alumilte Alumidust colors are true to their color in their jars or do they take on a whole new look when you add them to the Alumilite?

Help appreciated. THANKS!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

If you want to simulate the look of jewels (sapphires, rubies, emeralds...) or colored glass you will definitely need dyes and not pigments or micas. It's kind of tricky to get the color you want at the thickness you will ultimately end up with. Plan on experimenting in small batches.

If you were using PR resin, I could help you out. If I were going to try to do translucent colored glass / jewel casting (not opague colors) with alumilite, I would call the tech support number and talk to them about it. They have always been very helpful when I've talked to them. Here's what they say on their website:

If you are just starting out or would simply like to ask a quick question, simply pick up the phone and give us a call toll free at 800 447-9344 anytime Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST to speak with an actual person. If you ever receive an automated response during our business hours, please press 0 until someone can pick up. The automated response only comes in rare circumstances when every phone line is occupied. Your call is very important to us but we don't wish to make anyone hold the line so we may ask you for your phone number so someone can return your call as soon as they have a free minute rather than asking you to hold.

Good luck,

By the way, did you take the time to vote in the Russ Fairfield poll. Every vote counts.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
samples are pretty cheap from coastal scents coastalscents.com about a dollar for most of their product. Lots of members use their micas. I dont know about the alumilite alumidust. sorry

QuiltinMom

I would call the tech support number and talk to them about it. They have always been very helpful when I've talked to them. Here's what they say on their website:

If you are just starting out or would simply like to ask a quick question, simply pick up the phone and give us a call toll free at 800 447-9344 anytime Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST to speak with an actual person. If you ever receive an automated response during our business hours, please press 0 until someone can pick up. The automated response only comes in rare circumstances when every phone line is occupied. Your call is very important to us but we don't wish to make anyone hold the line so we may ask you for your phone number so someone can return your call as soon as they have a free minute rather than asking you to hold.

Ed

THANKS!!! I did call them and they were extremely helpful and friendly. I went ahead and purchased one of their kits that includes all of their colors. The website says they are currently out of stock of a certain color so they couldn't put a full set together, but they were very willing to substitute a color for me and it should be on the way!!!

THANKS again!!!

Marko50

Denise,
Alumilte works best with their colors. Everything is formulated to work beautifully with each other. I use Pearlex pigments sometimes. They work fine but they take a lot longer to mix into the Alumilite Clear. (Assuming that's what you're using.) Remember, the AL Clear will be translucent, even with dyes and pigment powders. The powders will give it more colors that separate a bit better and will give it a kind of "3D" effect. However, the AL will flow differently depending on what type of mold you use. The kitchen cutting board type will flow slowly if they are the kind that have a texture on the surface. If you plane them smooth, the AL will run faster and you will get a completely different result with your different colors mixing and rolling and twisting through the blank.

Have fun experimenting with it. Plan on burning through a bunch of it at first but remember, it's all good because you're learning and gaining knowledge! Whoot!

QuiltinMom

Thank you.

We have some small molds, Alumilite arrived yesterday, Alumidust is to arrive today if the current storm doesn't hit before the FedEx guy can get here.

We have mixing cups and stir sticks ready.

Anything else I need for a first time pour? We are going to start small and just pour some little samples and practice getting the coloring in at the correct time. I have been reading and exploring the library. I'm so excited and can hardly wait!!!!!:biggrin:

I think we will start with just pouring and seeing how we do with bubbles. We do have the ability to do a pressure pot if necessary. We are kind of reading mixed reviews as to if we need to pressure pot or not.

We are hoping to get snowed in at the shop today. Kids are out of school for conferences. Hubby planned ahead so he has work to do in the shop and not at a job site. Our shop is right here with our house, so no traveling involved. Just light the wood burner and enjoy the day!!!!:biggrin:

Marko50

Thank you.

We have some small molds, Alumilite arrived yesterday, Alumidust is to arrive today if the current storm doesn't hit before the FedEx guy can get here.

We have mixing cups and stir sticks ready.

Anything else I need for a first time pour? We are going to start small and just pour some little samples and practice getting the coloring in at the correct time. I have been reading and exploring the library. I'm so excited and can hardly wait!!!!!:biggrin:

I think we will start with just pouring and seeing how we do with bubbles. We do have the ability to do a pressure pot if necessary. We are kind of reading mixed reviews as to if we need to pressure pot or not.

We are hoping to get snowed in at the shop today. Kids are out of school for conferences. Hubby planned ahead so he has work to do in the shop and not at a job site. Our shop is right here with our house, so no traveling involved. Just light the wood burner and enjoy the day!!!!:biggrin:

Color your Part A first, before you drop the Part B in. That way you will have more open time to work with. When doing small samples, use a toothpick to apply the coloring. Just put a little smidgen on the end of a toothpick and stir it in…You'll be surprised at how quickly the color disperses. Believe me, if you just use the dropper and dump in one or two full drops…well…it's overkill. just a little at a time.

The more stirring you do, the more air that will get into the AL, and air is not good for your castings, color or clear! I would use a pressure pot every time, due to the short open time, IMHO. PR, Silmar 41 are a whole different ball game. They have a greater open time and a longer cure time. With AL, its only about 2-3 hours from mixing to throwing it on the lathe and turning. PR is longer. If I had a customer call in an order at noon and needed the blanks by 3:30, I could get them to him/her sooner! Great stuff!

Sounds like you have a nice set up. Hope you and your hubby have fun with the casting!

Top Bottom