Need a little help with my PR blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

norbstado

Hi guys I'm just a newbie on PR casting. I did my first 2 blanks without pressure and just let it air dry, and turned out that it has bubbles on it, but what troubles me more is how to figure out why does it crack or turns brittle where it is near the wood part inside the blanks. How can i solve this without using pressure pot? What is happening ?why it is having cracks on the wood part. What should I do with it too?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottb

I saw a video where they suggested heating up the wood in the mold prior to casting. I am by far no expert, but that may be a point in the right direction.

jttheclockman

Not enough info. I always get into trouble trying to decipher what people are asking. What wood part??? Are you casting wasted wood blanks???

what resin is used?? How much catalyst is used??? What type of molds?? What is with the wood???

By the way welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Skie_M

If this is an oily type of wood, then the resin won't bond very well .... if possible, you could gently pry the wood apart from the resin and clean out the waxy or oily residue and then CA it back together.

norbstado

Not enough info. I always get into trouble trying to decipher what people are asking. What wood part??? Are you casting wasted wood blanks???

what resin is used?? How much catalyst is used??? What type of molds?? What is with the wood???

By the way welcome to the site.
Last edited by jttheclockman; Today at 10:30 AM.

Sorry for not putting much info sir. Here are the answers to all your question.
-Im using Polyester Resin w/c is produced locally here in the Philippines.
-I'm pouring 3% MEKP on the overall weight of the Polyester resin.
-I'm using a DIY silicone Mold.
-The wood im using is called locally called Lanete w/c I've tried to google and said that it was internationally known as Ivory wood
- And yes I'm casting wasted wood blanks that haven't reacted very well on my stabilization process.

Last edited:

Sabaharr

My first guess is too much MEKP but I don't know what the ratio is for the PR product you are using. Most PR I have used recommend 5 to 8 drops of MEKP per ounce of PR. 3% seems like it would be way more than that. But as I said the ratio for your product could be different.

norbstado

Thanks for all the answers guys (Y) appreciate it. Pre heating the wood works great on my blanks. I guess the only problem now on my resins are the bubbles w/c would only be diminished by using pressure pot upon reading so many threads here.

12235766_10153728719352351_1962808317_o.jpgyomar.jpg

Top Bottom