Need a good pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

And to think that I have been missing out on all these great persses for so many years by just using my bench vise. Whoda thunk it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

[...]
IMHO, if you have to rely on the pressure of a half ton arbor press, you are doing something wrong.
[...]

Well you are exactly right, since a 1/2 ton is about 950 pounds too much pressure! You take it easy with one. I started out adjusting the handle so it had less leverage, but you learn to finesse the pressing of parts. If somebody made a 1/20th ton arbor press, I'd probably be all over it.

DRAT

Like Dan above, I to use my woodworking vise. It is mounted on the end of my work bench. The metal parts that touch the pen parts are all covered with wood......I use birch.

I should note however, that I have also used a clamp, that worked well for me too. Try a couple of different methods and settle on the one you like the best. I don't think you need to buy anything special for this process, unless of course you don't already own a vice or a clamp. Good luck.

DRAT

Dan Masshardt

Despite my insistence, I found the price of the milescraft press at the woodworking show too good to not try out for comparison at least and some portability.

It was $40 and came with a bonus 7mm colt drill bit.

randyrls

I will be contrary here; I have used pen vices, but i never found one that worked as will as my woodworkers vise with some wood padded jaws that attach with magnets. It has a quick adjust and gives me good "feel" for when the parts bottom out. I don't like "single purpose" tools. I much prefer multi-use tools.

turn4fun

I have to put in a vote for the arbor press.

I've been happy with a modified arbor press. Have made several hundred pens of all types on it. Never had a mishap. Attached piece of soft stick on velcro to metal part of the press. Made three 3/4" blocks that fit into open space in the base. One block is delrin, two are wood. I can get really good alignment, simple length adjustment, and smooth, well controlled pressing strokes.

I certainly don't need or use the full 1-ton pressing force for pens. I can press with just enough force to push the parts together. The press takes up very little shop space. I have it mounted on the corner of a small bench where I assemble and finish pens. In addition it's a multi-use tool that can be used for other things.

Larry

GaryT45

I have a Milescraft pen press, and I guess I've put too much pressure on it at times, and the sliding rod on the toggle clamp is now angled upwards. I replaced it with a "Amico 32 mm" toggle clamp (13.51 from Amazon). The body of the clamp is cast iron, so less chance of it bending. It matched the bolt holes for the old toggle clamp (base is thicker, so the bolts are now a bit on the short side, but they work). And since the base is thicker, the center of the rod is just a hair higher than the center of the adjustable rod.

I have the arbor press but only use it for the upper sections, I don't understand how to press the lower unit with control of the pen parts.

I hope s,omens uploads some photos of how they use the arbor press to press the lower sections of the pens.

mtassie

I got mine at the show for 40 bucks, barry gross had them to. I stopped at the woodcraft store and they were asking 69.00 for the same press

Top Bottom