Ned Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

I have this pen with the upper blank broken. This was turned by a person in the US Navy in Hawaii and given to a sailor as a going away gift. The young Lady is now stationed here in Fallon, well her pen suffered some damage. Knowing that I make pens as a hobby, she asked if I could repair this for her. As I explained to her I would gladly turn her a new set of blanks and rebuild her pen but it will not be the same combination of colors. I would like to get it as close as possible however I do not know where this blank came from nor who made it. If anyone can identify it please let me know where I can purchase one. We cannot get in touch with the person that originally made this so that is not an option. Thank you all for looking. Robbie

Attachments

• broken pen 003.jpg
    broken pen 003.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 314
  • broken pen 004.jpg
    broken pen 004.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 295
  • broken pen 005.jpg
    broken pen 005.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 350
  • broken pen 006.jpg
    broken pen 006.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 285
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Robbie; I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I saw a blank just like this one at Woodturningz, under their Inlace Acrylester line.
Have you thought about trying to repair it using a colored CA glue?

robersonjr

Thanks Swagopenturner, cant repair the broken section, she does not have the missing piece. I will check Woodturningz to see what they have. V/R Robbie

I checked at Woodturningz, there was not a blank there to match.

Last edited:

truckfixr

Why not just disassemble it and repair it with an oops band? Then she would still have the original pen. I have some purple PR pieces that would match pretty close.You are welcome to them.

Last edited:

robersonjr

Thanks Truckfixr, I did suggest that, she would rather have it replace than repaired. I have been looking at every site I can find that sells blanks, eventually I will find something. I sure wish I knew who made this, that would simplify things. I do not mind fixing another persons pens, especially when they are not from this area, I have repaired other pens but have always had what I needed. I do not remember seeing this blank before, wish I had, it is beautiful and I would like to have some of these for myself. Thank You again Sir. V/R Robbie

Cmiles1985

Plenty of folks on here cast their own (myself included). Perhaps someone can get really close? I'll give it a shot after my wife and son finish a nap as the compressor is a little on the loud side.

Mr Vic

Dissasemble it an patch with some five minute epoxy...you can add some color to it..Re-turn, polish and reassemble with the clip over the repair...

Experiment withsmall dabs of epoxy to get the colors right...

bruce119

I agree on the patch...epoxy should do it...You would need to mix up some
opaque white, opaque orange and translucent purple
Put plenty of pearlesent powder in the purple for the glitter...
start with the purple then drag the white & orange to get close to pattern...

This would be very tricky and you would have to have some dies and pearl powders..and lots of experimenting

But if you could patch when you reassemble put the patch under the clip to try and conceal

Even if you find another blank it's going to be be tough to match...
There's the shape, keep that in mind, looks like the tube was not painted and also looks like the blank was not back painted all things that change the look....

Good luck

robersonjr

Thanks all for the advice, I do not have the dyes and powder and this is good advice. I think I will wait to see what Cmiles can come up with. I did look at the pen shop and all the blanks that Ernie carries at Bare Tooth. I even ordered one from Ernie but it was more gold, did not have white and the purple was way dark. Thanks again. Robbie

Cmiles1985

Ok, I've got a little something in the pressure pot now. I'll post some photos once it's done "cooking" and I've had a chance to cut it.

Cmiles1985

These are about the best quick photos I could get. It came out significantly darker. I have seven of them. PM me if you'd be interested in one or a few of these.

Top Bottom