Navigator in Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mousecreek

Mousecreek

Turned another Navigator Rollerball last night. The wood is Buckeye Burl. The finish is CA. I really like the look and feel of the style but out of 4 I have completed, none have had tight fitting hardware. Nothing that is a deal killer but something extra to deal with.

Cheers,
Ken

Attachments

• Navigator Rollerball (1).jpg
    Navigator Rollerball (1).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Navigator Rollerball (2).jpg
    Navigator Rollerball (2).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I love buckeye burl. It always makes a nice looking pen. Nice job on your finish as well. I have not used the Navigator pen kit so I can not comment there, but you might look into the Jr Gent or the Triton kits. They are both well proven kits. I have heard a few comments on the triton's spring but it has never been an issue for me.

Very nice! Some of my favorite pens I've made are from buckeye burl. It can have such a beautiful variety of color throughout a blank, like the one you have there, that few other woods can match.

OZturner

Beautiful Buckeye Burl Blanks Ken,
Regarding the Tight Fitting Hardware, are you cleaning out the Tubes after they have hardened in the Blanks, and you have squared off the Blank Length?
I use a Countersink Burr to remove any possible burrs, from the brass tubes, then I use a small Rat Tail File, to clean the ends where the hardware is to fit, of any adhesive or muck that may have got into the Tube.
I notice that the transition to the Hardware diameter is very sharp. It is a common problem with new turners not being confident or experienced to be comfortable taking the Blank, down to the hardware size.
It could be a good suggestion for you to turn down some firewood to the bush diameters to gain the Experience and Confidence, rather than use Expensive Exotic Blanks.
There are some excellent YouTube video's you might like to look at.
I look forward to seeing some of your future Pens.
Regards,
Brian.

Mousecreek

Thanks for the great instructions but I said none were tight. They were all loose fitting. I'll go find some firewood to turn rather than
Expense Exotic Blanks. Have a good day.

OZturner

Thanks for the great instructions but I said none were tight. They were all loose fitting. I'll go find some firewood to turn rather than
Expense Exotic Blanks. Have a good day.

Ken, my apology, Sorry I miss read your comments, where you said
"but out of 4 I have completed, none have had tight fitting hardware." :redface:

I miss read it as "but out of 4 I have completed none, have had tight fitting hardware."
My Brain had me miss place the comma, hence a totally different message. :frown:

Nevertheless, the suggestions are still worthwhile.
Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year. :wink:
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom