natural?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

guts

when turning wood such as bloodwood is it natural for the wood to be two different colors,i know it has something to do with the grain but don't know if i'm doing something wrong,i'm getting a dark side and a lighter side with the blanks,thanks for any info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

possibly,but is there anything that can be done to avoid this?don't really understand the chatoyance part,the lighter part is usually kinda sparkly looking but the pics. i see here don't show it,good pic. taking?

Gary Max

You can not really avoid it----no matter how good the blank-- one can never be sure what's inside it. Sometimes it is a good thing and them sometimes it's really a bummer. I have some Bloodwood that is almost a curly orange---kinda strange-- but the curl makes for a nice pen. You can buy a board---cut it into blanks and pick out the cream of the crop---this improves your odds.

alamocdc

Bill, I've seen varigated (red w/what looks like lighter ribbons running along the grain) Bloodwood listed at a higher price than I paid for the board I have. You may have some of this. Mine is pretty consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom