Natural Banksia Roman Harvest - George (robutacion)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

G'day folks,

Recently a surgical registrar wanted a natural hairy banksia roman harvest pen. This was the last blank I had :mad:. Of course I ordered some more from George!!:biggrin: Some people seem to like the natural ones more than coloured, and this one I think came out really well. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• Natural Banksia 1.jpg
    Natural Banksia 1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 561
  • Natural Banksia 2.jpg
    Natural Banksia 2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Natural Banksia 3.jpg
    Natural Banksia 3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Natural Banksia 4.jpg
    Natural Banksia 4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day folks,

Recently a surgical registrar wanted a natural hairy banksia roman harvest pen. This was the last blank I had :mad:. Of course I ordered some more from George!!:biggrin: Some people seem to like the natural ones more than coloured, and this one I think came out really well. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Sean

G'day Sean,

I haven't seen on of those for some time...!

I'm sure, some folks will be looking at it and thinking, "is something different with that blank...!", and you would be correct, this was one of the first cuts I made these blanks with, these were made with the pod sliced open through its centre through its length and then quartered so, you would have the core of the pod at one side and the hairs on the other (possibly some seeds if long enough), and that is what the last pic in your thread, shows...!

I have a bunch of those quarters cut, that I was considering to stabilise and cast at some stage, or when I run out of pods to do the normal ones.

The same has happened with the Banksia Dwarf blanks, I still had a bunch of the pods cut the same way (quarters) when, I decided to try the more recent type so, I never touched the quarter pieces since.

Yes, I remember, you purchased the last blanks I had made with this order cut type, they were some clear and coloured resins, you have made and shown us some amazing pens you made with those older blanks, the major difference between the older and the new cut, on both Banksia species is that, the older cut does show 2 different sides of the pod while the new cuts, address that issue that was the very reason why I created them however, the older cuts do have their own characteristics, that are not better or worse than the new ones, other than looking differently.

The new cut on both Banksias, have made me use a lot more pods, I could make 4 blanks with a single pod, now I only can make one out of the Dwarf and 2 from the Hairy pod, if I'm lucky (pod long enough) so, one of the main reasons why my pods stocks was turned upside-down...!:frown: I've got only me to blame, really...!:)

Great job Sean...!

Cheers
George

tgsean

Thanks Marc, it is a nice kit. I get maximum orders for this Kit. Luckily I can buy this from timberbits here in Oz.

robutacion

Thanks Marc, it is a nice kit. I get maximum orders for this Kit. Luckily I can buy this from timberbits here in Oz.

That kit certainly looks good, does it leave much "meat" over the tubes, Sean..???

Since you brought up that pen with that older style Banksia Pod cut, I found a box with the last pieces I cut, from some of the best (bigger) pods I ever had, about 30 I think so, I stabilized them already (there were never stabilized before) and today I received a new/fresh 20lt drum of resin so, I'm attempted to cast these all in clear resin, they will look pretty good because, and as I said, they were cut from big pods and this mean that, a quarter of a big pod is a big quarter so, the seed shells are big and long so, it will show lots of seeds in it...!

Surprised that the mice didn't get into that box, it may be because the box had a gloss layer outside, I don't think that would taste that good, I was glad they were intact..! :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom