Name Those Nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Dale, I could do with another visit 'Stateside' :biggrin: but I don't think you need any tutoring!!

But hey....since you're offering....:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Chris, if Dale sends the ticket over real quick, then I could hand deliver them and we could have lunch at the same time:biggrin: LOL

I'll get them in the post as soon as I get back home on Friday or Sat morning.

Hope you guys can have fun and also get some use from them. I'll do a little pictorial on how I use them as soon as I get a break, though I'm sure you both have figured them out already.

Cheers all and thanks for playing along:beer:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Guys, I posted your bits this morning. I hope you get some use from them
The grubscrews are metric, so I included an allen key:)

Here are a couple of pics of them while making a couple of sample cuts.
I don't have a table saw ( yet :wink:) so I roughed these cuts on my mitre chop saw. Not perfect, but not too bad. You can see that by varying the depth or angle of the cut that some decent patterns can be cut.
I think the main advantage of using this kind of method is that the inlays don't have to be trimmed flush before the next one goes in.:wink:

Attachments

• 1st Cut.jpg
    1st Cut.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 2nd Cut.jpg
    2nd Cut.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 6th Cut.jpg
    6th Cut.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Rough Samples.jpg
    Rough Samples.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 200

Russianwolf

Funny thing skippy, your test cuts look almost exactly like something I've been sketching in my little book. I don't know if the effect goes all the way down, but it's damn close right now.

I like the nuts a lot, I'm going to be doing some segmenting/inlaying now that I have my thickness sander, and may have to think more on how I'm holding my nuts......errrrr blanks.

PennedDown

Skippy,

That is so freakin' cool! I can't wait to get these and let the experimentation begin. I'm spending the morning tuning in the table saw I accquired for a temporary setup and building a sled, but I may wait until these come in and make a specific-use sled just for my RatNuts. :) After the move, I have my big table saw and everything else that was in my shop in storage, so I've had to do with what I kept back and can fit in a small portion of a garage.

Thanks again Skip and I'm sure I'll be lighting up your PM once I get the first project rolling.

Mystery nuts?

LOL, some of you lot are sicker than me!!! :eek::biggrin:

For the non metricated or those that aren't as sick as others:tongue:.....here's a pic with a pen, for size reference:wink:

By the looks of the pen in the comparison pic, I'd say they hold a pen bushing that is used to rotate the body while machining the spiraling body & cap. Guess they would be called spiralizing pen bushing holders.

Larry

Top Bottom