Mystry Wood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

I posted some blanks of this yesterday to see if anyone knew what it could be.
Garypeck thought that it could be thief wood but I dont think so..I keep all the wood that I stole in a seperate pile...
I think I'll use it myself to show off how pretty my firewood is....
The dark rings where real soft while the light rings where very hard..so it may just be some kind of spalting that caused this
Mystry wood cigar
mystrywood-05_editedMedium.jpg

mystrywood-07_editedMedium.jpg

Here is a pic of what is left of the log that I cut it from..This was cut several years ago here in South Western Pa

mystrywood-10Medium.jpg

Thanks for looking Comments welcomed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Great looking pen and wood. I thought it might be Redbud but Im not sure. I had a small redbud tree damaged by wind last year and dried some of it. My blank has small grain but from your pictures, your tree was bigger. Redbud?????

Attachments

• redbud.JPG
    redbud.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 131

leehljp

Member Liaison
My first thoughts on your other post was what you said above: The dark rings are the soft part - meaning some kind of spalting or other coloration probably took place. Sounds logical that would happen like that. The wood and rings on the half block looks a lot like some kind of pine, and some pines do have a soft wood that will wick up water/liquid when dry. If it were in a bog, hole or damp area for a few years it could have easily absorbed "brown" coloration.

That is a very nice looking pen! You always do great work with great finishes!

Last edited:

MarkHix

That looks alot like some ironwood I bought last year. This is a photo of a board before it became shavings. Turned like a dream and easy to finish. I don't remember a specific smell. Is it dense like the ironwoods?

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 117
S

spiritwoodturner

Don't think I've seen anything quite like that. That's a treasure there! Lovely wood, lovely pens.

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

Looks like Becote but I'm not sure.
If that's Bocote, we have some hard evidence that global warming is SERIOUSLY messing up So. West Penn. If so, I wish it would hurry the Hell up to Colorado...

Dale

Maybe Harold meant SW PAtagonia...

Last edited by a moderator:

ngeb528

If that's Bocote, we have some hard evidence that global warming is SERIOUSLY messing up So. West Penn. If so, I wish it would hurry the Hell up to Colorado...

Dale

Maybe Harold meant SW PAtagonia...

I just turned a Becote stopper that looks pretty close to the would in the pen.

S

spiritwoodturner

I just turned a Becote stopper that looks pretty close to the would in the pen.

He said it was harvested it in SW Pennsylvania. I doubt Bocote grows there. But I could be wrong...

Top Bottom