mystery blanks..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I figure someone would recognize this. I've hit the search engines, but
working backwards isn't intuitive.

Bought two black, waxed blocks thinking I'd get a few pen blanks out of
them. One is purple and the other one really was black with charcoal-like sawdust.

Any idea what the purple one was? They looked the same before I started cutting..

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 259
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I vote Kingwood(have a stack that looks ALOT like that) on the left and Katalox on the right (Usually waxed, shows a lot of purple, VERY HEAVY)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will go a different route - The one on the left looks like some mildly figured asian rosewood to me. I have purchased several small boards that looked like that because it was so red/purplish, but it was Asian rosewood, which does look more red/purplish than South American Rosewoods.

My guess would be Bubinga on the left... it looks just like a piece I used to make a couple of goblets. Nice grain pattern there.

If the other is ebony, it will probably smell kinda like a wet cow lot when you cut it.. Kinda makes me home sick for the old farm place.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I probably should have added a hint, Chuck reminded me.

The purplish one smells a lot like olivewood, albeit olivewood that has been dropped in cow patties.

They BOTH smell like that .. sort of a mild manure-ish smell, but the purple one definitely smelled like olive but faint.

That being said, I can't say that anyone is right or wrong. But I have lots of kingwood, caribbean, bolivian, and honduran rosewoods, I've got a 5 foot 8/4 slab of curly bubinga (yeah!!) and some macassar ebony.
The purple one DOES look like a rosewood, and it does look much like kingwood in the grain structure. (isn't kingwood a rosewood or a close relative?) So it wouldn't surprise me if it was some sort of rosewood.

I don't really think it is bubinga, but I could be wrong. I know you can get drastically different looking blanks cut from the same piece of wood.

The color reminds me a lot of Katalox .. but the grain is much larger than
I've seen before. (that doesn't mean a thing, I know)

Well, thanks for the ideas. I'm learning (now) that it isn't enough to assume
you'll remember later on .. write it down EVERY TIME! :biggrin: Especially
when it's a wood that will change color later on.

and here's a couple of blanks just in case we do a blank swap ..:tongue:

Attachments

• blanks.jpg
    blanks.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom