My wife said it's sexy...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from betwisted

betwisted

And really...who am I to question her taste :wink:

The pen on top was kinda made by accident, I was in my lab playing with some ideas about mixing wood and plastic. So I was cutting and mixing and pouring and pressurizing until I had the blank made. As it was just an experiment and the wood was pretty much coated in black/silver PR I really couldn't tell from the outside what the blank would turn out to be. I set it with a Rocker manhattan kit in chrome/black then turned it down. When I got to the inside (which really...is some of the most fun in making these pens...finding the treasure within) the plastic was formed as little squares within the wooden framework. The wood is a Honduran Mahogany. I finished the pen with 3 thin/3 med coats of CA, sanded at 600 (the skew is great when you get the hang of it, that and the festool granat 600 grit paper is fantastic as well), buffed with tripoli and white diamond, then ren waxed it and buffed clean.

The other pen is a Compson Click I got from PSI in a starter kit (trying out the click pens/mechanisms), also in chome/black. The wood for this pen is teak. I made this pen for a client who specified a med. colored wood with chrome hardware. To maintain the wood aspect of the pen (vs. a CA finish), and since the wood is teak, I sanded it to 600, a little BLO to help the grain pop, then also did the trip/WD/Ren wax finish. I don't imagine it will keep its shine for too long, but I'll let the client know how to maintain the finish. If they want to be bothered and like to maintain the woodiness they can buy it...if not..well...then not...I'd like to thank plantman for the inspiration/idea on the finish for the teak.

also...just to clarify...my wifes sexy comment was about the first pen :biggrin:

Thanks for lookin and readin! C & C welcome and appreciated
Joe

Attachments

• HTP00044 & 45.JPG
    HTP00044 & 45.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 576
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Can't see much. Need better photos. That is my comment. Sorry. It looks like it could be a nice bit of segmenting too.

Kretzky

Sorry photos too tiny to really see anything.
As for Sexy... depends what she's comparing it to :wink: :biggrin:

betwisted

So I started looking at the camera's auto function then decided to try the manual mode. I think these shots came out a little better (although my reflective surface could be a lot better than a scratched shiny pan lid).:redface:

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom