My Version...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EdwinSSIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwinSSIV

of the Morning After. I loved the tutorial and have been dying to make this pen:D
Comments and critiques are always welcome

2006425121548_image0.jpg

2006425121947_image1-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

I am really starting to like this segmented stuff. Super nice lookin. What thype of glue did you use? It seems I had to realy hurry on the CA to get it in place (right) before it sets up.
Nolan

byounghusband

Nolan,
You don't have to hurry too much if you have everything cut and ready to go at you glue station..
I did a Sierra like this one for a gift and you just glue the bottom wood piece to a page of an old phone book with MED CA, then a little around the end of the tube and slide it into the forst wood piece. That way your tube point up. A small ring of glue on the wood and on with the next wood piece, until you have them all on the tube. Squeeze down and then spray with accelerator.

byounghusband

Ed,
NICE!!! I think these pens are very eye-catching and everyone who sees them seems ot want one. When I did a Sierra, I used my WC pen vice. [xx(] It loosens up EVERYTIME I drill a blank and my segemnts didn't line up as well as I would have liked because the blank was not drilled straight.[:(!] I can't wait til I get my vice from Paul in OKC.....[:D]

EdwinSSIV

Originally posted by n4631x
<br />I am really starting to like this segmented stuff. Super nice lookin. What thype of glue did you use? It seems I had to realy hurry on the CA to get it in place (right) before it sets up.
Nolan
Like Bob said...you can use Medium or for me I used thick CA, just make sure all your parts are set and ready to go. I personally use wax paper so it comes off the glued end easy but that is personal preference.

Originally posted by byounghusband
<br />Ed,
NICE!!! I think these pens are very eye-catching and everyone who sees them seems ot want one. When I did a Sierra, I used my WC pen vice. [xx(] It loosens up EVERYTIME I drill a blank and my segemnts didn't line up as well as I would have liked because the blank was not drilled straight.[:(!] I can't wait til I get my vice from Paul in OKC.....[:D]
I use the WC vise as well [V]...it has taken some time to get it dialed in with my drill press but I am very, very close now as long as the blanks are square...I have had to trim a couple of blanks from WC to make sure they drilled straight... I guess I should try to get on Paul's list...it is just sooooooo very long.

Ron Mc

Ed,
Every time I see one of my designs posted it reminds me why I work so hard on new goodies for everyone! You did good....real good.
If I may ask...What is the dark wood?

EdwinSSIV

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Ed,
Every time I see one of my designs posted it reminds me why I work so hard on new goodies for everyone! You did good....real good.
If I may ask...What is the dark wood?
Thanks alot Ron [:I],
I fell in love with your designs from the first time I read your tutorial![:X] I have a couple of ideas to try with it...we will see if they work!?!?!?
The dark wood is walnut...

BigRob777

Wow, very nice work. I can't imagine how much time it takes to do something like that. Did you get the original blank from Ron? I know he sells them (I think it is called the checkerboard).
Rob

Nolan

Ed and Bob,
Thank you for the replies I will try it both ways and see if I have better luck. I nearly stuck my finger to the blank the other day. [}:)]

Nolan

EdwinSSIV

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Wow, very nice work. I can't imagine how much time it takes to do something like that. Did you get the original blank from Ron? I know he sells them (I think it is called the checkerboard).
Rob
I got these blanks off of ebay from Steven...I believe they are the same blanks...Ron???Can you answer that question?

Nolan- I have come close to gluing my fingers to alot of wood, paper towels, brass tubes, sand papaer...but this one was not too bad.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by EdwinSSIV
<br />
<br />Wow, very nice work. I can't imagine how much time it takes to do something like that. Did you get the original blank from Ron? I know he sells them (I think it is called the checkerboard).
Rob
I got these blanks off of ebay from Steven...I believe they are the same blanks...Ron???Can you answer that question?

Nolan- I have come close to gluing my fingers to alot of wood, paper towels, brass tubes, sand papaer...but this one was not too bad.

OK now I'm confused. Did you make this blank using the tutorial or buy the blank on ebay

Ron Mc

Yes....The blanks that you purchased from Steve are exactly the same blanks that I sell called checkerboards. Steve and I have been friends for a while now and due to the volume of the blanks I was buying we came to a mutually beneficial business agreement. He makes them and I sell them.
Jim,
The only blank that he got off of eBay would be the checkerboard blank. That is what is needed to begin making a pen based on my tutorial.[;)]

EdwinSSIV

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />
Originally posted by EdwinSSIV
<br />
Rob

OK now I'm confused. Did you make this blank using the tutorial or buy the blank on ebay
I tried to make these blanks but my bandsaw is not very good so long cuts do not come out very good...I tried on my table saw but the blanks were coming out too small because of the size of the blade, got new thinner blade...out of 6 blanks (3 each)of bloodwood and birds eye maple I had one that turned out pretty darn good...but I did not have enough glue in part of the checkerboard stage so when I went to turn it it blew up and I had this huge gaping hole in the middle of my pen![xx(]At that point I said forget it and bought it from Steven. [:D] Much easier and saved a ton of time and effort! I could probably now be able to make these blanks but for the time it would take me to make them, it costs less to buy them from Ron or Steven with the same or better results.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />
Jim,
The only blank that he got off of eBay would be the checkerboard blank. That is what is needed to begin making a pen based on my tutorial.[;)]
I guess I should read your tutorial a little closer[:D][8D][:p][:eek:)]
Ok I'm not confused anymore[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom