My Treadle Lathe Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

Well, I have been wanting to build a treadle lathe for a long time now. I finalized my plans and started work. I will be posting more information and pictures on this forum and on my site HERE as I go along. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Let me start by saying that my design is based on Roy Underhill's design. However, I have made some alterations to his design to suit my wants and needs. I will point out my modifications as I go along.

Here is a picture of Roy's lathe:

Roy2.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very cool project. Please do keep us informed. I would love to see your progress, as well as the finished lathe.

KenBrasier

Ray, have fun with the project. I looked at the Underhill's Treadle Lathe when I decided to make mine 18 months ago. But I went with something a bit simpler as I haul it around to do demos. It is fun to use and a great crowd pleaser. Mine is collecting dust right now as I'm getting a knee replacement in 3 weeks (it is easier to flip a switch to turn at the present) LOL.

rizaydog

Thanks for all the interest. Yeah, I know Da Vinci designed this style of lathe. If memory serves, his had a 6' wheel...
I am still working on this beast. I did make a lot of headway. I have updated my site to include some more photos with detentions. Have a look HERE to see my progress. Sorry to make you click, but it is much easier for me to only have to post pic and text once. I'll let you know when I have added more.

rizaydog

I made a lot of progress on this project over the holidays. I have added some information about my build on my website but most of my time recently was spent in the shop, not on the computer. However, I plan to add more soon.

rizaydog

I added some more info and pics to my site. I plan to get this instructional done soon. It takes too long to make all the pictures and leaves me less time to turn. err.....

rizaydog

Well, I got a lot acomplished over the weekend. My treadle lathe is basicaly done. A few more tweaks to go. I got some more of the plans done on my site as well. Almost done with that too... Come have a look and let me know what you think.

Chthulhu

Ok guys. I finally got the entire plan on my SITE. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I still don't have any actual photos but that will be added soon.
Complete1.jpg

Looking very good overall. I would make two suggestions, though: move the flywheel back and down further (lowering its mass will increase overall stability) and hinge the treadle at the front rather than the back (more natural leg motion = less strain).

I'm looking forward to your photos and maybe a video or two. :)

rizaydog

Thanks for you thoughts Mike. I am not sure how I could place the hinges in the front with the tennons being there and still get it to fold up? You are right about the wheel position. However, I had planned on building a much bigger wheel. I was just too impatient and wanted to try this puppy out. I will be starting a 28" diameter wheel in the next few weeks. That is why the axel is in that location. My new wheel will also be hollow in the inside except I will add concrete around the inside rim. This will greatly increase the momentum. As of now, the thing is suprisingly stable. I thought it would have a lot more play. I think the tennons on the upright pieces make this thing extremely rigid. However, I'll take another look at hinge placement and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again.

Chthulhu

I meant the hinge for the treadle itself, not the hinges to fold the framework. Also if you hinge the treadle at the front, it won't need to be so long, just long enough to reach the connecting rod (J) at its furthest point.

rizaydog

I see now. Thanks. I am not sure that would be a good idea. The treadle is long so you don't need to stick your leg under the lathe too far. When the treadle moves up, my knee is higher then the bottom of the ways. I have hit my leg on the ways when I wasn't paying attention. Maybe if the lathe was higher, or the front foot was moved out some. I don't know. Good thinking. Thanks again.

Chthulhu

Okay, then let's make the treadle extend out a bit to the front yet still hinge at the front edge of the base. Your heel would be outside the base and the ball of your foot inside, and you would use a rocking motion to work the treadle, similar to using a treadle sewing machine.

If you prefer your rear-hinged treadle, add a block or two to elevate the hinged end of the treadle; that will lower the free end and stop you banging your knee.

rizaydog

Mike, I have been contemplating your idea. I am going to give it a try and see if I can't get the treadle to hinge on the front. Hopefully that will make things easier. I'll let you know how it works out.

Top Bottom