My third fountain pen and first one with a band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duke851

duke851

I decided to make a smaller pen for my third try and to put a band in the cap. I used a nice Autumn resin blank from Richard Greenwald and some black Acrylic from Woodcraft. I designed it around a Jowo #5 nib.

I used the following threads
Nib M6.5 x .5
Body M9 x .75
Cap M12 x .75
Band M14 x .75

This one was a struggle for me, I had a hard time with the Autumn bank until I stopped being so Ham fisted. It was very unforgiving but the colors are fantastic.

I took a couple of goes to get the cap right. The first one I cut a tenon on to the top black section and then threaded it. I also threaded the colored band and the bottom black piece. I epoxied the sections together and finished it up on the lathe. Everything worked great but you could see the threads through the band after finishing so I started from scratch and made the tenon smooth behind the band and did not thread the band. This time it worked well.

I also had problems with my body threads, I tried polishing them with some compound using a rotary tool and I managed to make them very loose and sloppy. I coated the threaded area with CA let it cure and then ran a die gently over the threads. This worked beautifully and gave me crisp positive threads and the CA blends perfectly for an invisible mend. I don't know how well this will hold up but so far so good.

Thank you for looking and if anybody has any words of wisdom on the bands I'd love to hear them.

Colin

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 175
I don't have any words of wisdom for you sorry but I do have some encouraging words. This pen is really beautiful. Great job on it. The blank was a great choice and give the pen an interesting look without being overbearing. Great job.

Top Bottom