My son went into shock.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I told him I finally got a cell phone on a contract! I've been rabid against contracts, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Samsung Captivate (aka Galaxy S) with a 1ghz proccy and 5mp camera. Free, no rebate, no bs. $55 a month plan which gives me enough minutes and data to cover my usage.

I was going to buy the HuaWei from Cricket, but it would take a long time to make up for the $140 with the cheaper plan, and the phone isn't half the Samsung. Then again, it isn't half the price either without a plan. :eek:

Sigh. it's AT&T, but their network load ratio has been slowly dropping, improving the service for everybody still on them. At least in this area. My iSlave friends and coworkers have reported drastically improved network performance over the past few months.

So I bit the bullet. I love the phone. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I've recently been looking to upgrade my phone to the HuaWei (sp??) from cricket. I like the plan i'm on, as I need a bunch of minutes due to conference call's for work.

stevers

I have the Cappy and love it. Had the Aria for a week and traded it in. Put in a 16 gig card. Also installed a new rom and it's really fast now. Use it every day.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don,
Does that have them new-fangled button-thingys???

Mine has a great dial, still read the numbers and MOST of the letters!! I miss Mabel the operator though.

DurocShark

I've recently been looking to upgrade my phone to the HuaWei (sp??) from cricket. I like the plan i'm on, as I need a bunch of minutes due to conference call's for work.

That's a good phone, but only a 600mhz processor and weak RAM (I forget how much it carries... Note I'm not talking about the memory card, but the working RAM.) The Samsung feels more solid in my hand, and has a much brighter and crisper display as well.

I had to do it online through Radio Shack to get the free deal, otherwise it's $99 with the same contract if you go direct. I just got the ship confirmation tonight.

It was a PITA to port my number from Boostmobile though. They hide your account number so you have to call them to get it if you want to port your number somewhere else. That means you get to go through their customer retention plan. At least two people. Ugh.

stevers

Don, I installed the Perception rom in mine. It gets rid of all of the AT&T bloatware. If you like getting into that sort of thing, check out this site. Samsung Captivate Forum
I learned a lot there. How to Root, how to back up, how to side load,,,,pretty cool site.

ed does this look like your phone

Attachments

• first-cell-phone.jpg
    first-cell-phone.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 119

alphageek

Former Moderator
Samsung Captivate (aka Galaxy S) with a 1ghz proccy and 5mp camera. Free, no rebate, no bs. $55 a month plan which gives me enough minutes and data to cover my usage.

You THINK its enough data to cover your usage until you download forum runner for android and spend even more of your life connected to IAP! :eek::eek:

PenMan1

Don:
I have data plans and cell phones with BOTH ATT and Verizon. Both work well, customer service is great with both companies. I actually perfer ATT. My ATT iPhone works in more places than the Verizon, is twice as fast, and allows me to talk and surf at the same time- QUICKLY.

On the data side, the Verizon MIFI 2200 works everywhere and is cheaper than dirt!

DurocShark

You THINK its enough data to cover your usage until you download forum runner for android and spend even more of your life connected to IAP! :eek::eek:
Really, the only data I'll get off the cell network is email headers. Everything else I'll be using wifi for.

But, of course, if things change for another $10 or so a month I can drastically increase the usage. :shrug:

stevers

I got in late and have the 2gig data package. At first I was on it a lot at work and elsewhere and never got even close to the 2gig limit. Don't think I ever went over 1gig. I use wi-fi at home.

DurocShark

Yeah, same thing here. I have wifi at work, home, all the restaurants and fast food joints around work where I might possibly eat at lunch, and so on.

Shoot, I'm the admin at work. I could dedicate a 20mb pipe just to my phone if I wanted to... (Hmm... Does my phone do n? Bwahahahahahaa!!!)

stevers

Hey Don.
here are a few of the more important apps I've found and use on my Cappy. Just in case you want to look around. Just go to the market and type in the name and it should come up.
1) Audio Manager
2) Duel File Manager
3) Home Smack (if you have more than one home launcher)
4) Jorte (calender)
5) Neocore (testing graphics)
6) Quadrant Standard (system Benchmarking)
7) SMS Popup (message notification)
8) Switch Pro Widget
9) Titanium Backup (must be rooted, backs up everything)
10) Ultra Keyboard
11) Weather Bug
12) There are several ways to "Root" your phone, look around the site I sent you the link to.
13) There are several apps for task managing also, just type in "task manager" in the market.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
Steve

By the way, does yours have Froyo 2.2?

Last edited:

stevers

Here's a couple of screenshots of my home pages,

Attachments

• screenshot_4.jpg
    screenshot_4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 93
  • screenshot_3.jpg
    screenshot_3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 92
  • screenshot_2.jpg
    screenshot_2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 102

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Sorry Guys! You are ALL missing it! With my ERIS HTC, I touch the voice search button, look into the face of that little lady, and speak crisp and slowly as I say "Dunkin Donut" and she immediately responds with the location of the nearest Cop Food supplier!!! :) :)

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
I've got over 70 apps on my phone... Here are a few that I think others shouldn't live without.

1. Jorte - For improved Calendar display and functionality.
  2. Flashlight - Turns your camera flash into a flashlight.
  3. Gas Buddy - You can't go wrong with this app if you travel in your car much.
  4. Handcent SMS - A much improved SMS interface/app.
  5. Radar Now - A nice simple weather radar app.
  6. Shush! - A app that turns your ringer back on after x-amount of time when you silence it.
  7. Compass - A nice basic thing your phone can do.
  8. Bubble - A bubble level and spirit level. I don't know how accurate it is, but its better than my ability to eye ball somethings.
  9. Stopwatch & Timer - Surprisingly enough, Android doesn't come with one stock.
  10. Google Sky Map - Ever wonder what that star is? This is one of the coolest apps ever.
  11. Angry Birds - Cuz ya just gotta play once in a while.
Beyond that, its just a matter of what other interests you have... Guitar tuners...Food apps... Shopping... and about a bazzilion other apps depending upon your interest. Did I mention I have only paid for 1 out of the 70+ apps that I have?

DurocShark

Cool apps. Most of those weren't around the last time I had an android. My work got me a G1 when it came out. Then they stopped providing phones. Sucks.

Top Bottom